some easy,helpful tips for using the rebber 3kg stuffer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

some easy,helpful tips for using the rebber 3kg stuffer

Postby bern » Sun May 15, 2005 11:42 am

i made boerewors today and told the wife that if the rebber stuffer 3kg is too hard to turn i am going to sell it, well it is great!! i had to make some improvisations though.

i cut a piece of wood +- 120mm long and another +-250mm. i placed the 120mm inside the red housing at the rear and the other piece of wood under the table edge. i then clamped it with a g-clamp. on tightening the clamp i had to place it sort of sideways so that the handle does not get obstructed when turning it. the reason for the wood is so that the holding pressure of the clamp is dispersed evenly at the rear above and below the table. also so that the clamp does not damage the stuffer and the table.
this time i used 1 hand to turn the stuffer and the last time i had the whole family holding it down. :D

i also used the smallest nozzle and it was just as easy!!
bern
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Sun May 15, 2005 7:06 pm

I dont know what is the matter with all you sissy weaklings as I have seen this mentioned before about working up a sweat cranking the reber stuffers. We have a 3kg stuffer and have had no problems at all with it, are you all making stiff mixtures with fast setting concrete or something! or just have limp wrists............only joking
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun May 15, 2005 8:00 pm

From what I recall the 3kg reber has a spiral cranking mechanism - which may actually make stuffing a bit easier for stiff mixtures and has no kick-back. With the 5 and 8 kg reber, if the mixture is too thick, the air pressure inside pushes back on you and if you let go of the handle, it spins back (sometimes quite painfully!).

The advantage of the 5kg & 8kg mechanism is that it is quick and easy to unload the plunger - while with a spiral mechanism, it takes a bit more time.
aris
Site Admin

pm

Postby Franco » Sun May 15, 2005 8:07 pm

aris,
did you get my pm?

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Sun May 15, 2005 8:48 pm

PM? No when did you send it?
aris
Site Admin

pm

Postby Franco » Sun May 15, 2005 8:49 pm

I sent it twice the other day, I'll email it you now.
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Sun May 15, 2005 8:51 pm

Ok, then yes - I didn't know you wanted a response.
aris
Site Admin

pm

Postby Franco » Sun May 15, 2005 8:51 pm

Aris,

I have just sent a mail to your yahoo address

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Sun May 15, 2005 9:37 pm

As some of you may know I have the 3 kg Reber. Here is a little tip to stop blowbacks and trapped air.

When you are winding the plunger up to the meat mix tip the barrel up a bit this allows any trapped air to escape past the plunger seal.

I learnt this little trick, after blowing off the casing and pebble dashing one wall of the kitchen.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 16, 2005 8:11 am

I also have a 3 kg stuffer (not Reber) and have experienced a similar happening. I now ensure that my mix doesn't have any air pockets and is pushed nice and flat to accept good contact with the plunger. Pack the mix after every handful. More importantly, when winding the plunger in I do so very slowly whilst 'wiggling' the body to expel air, until contact with the mix is felt. It works well even with a stiff mix.

First time I used it I had a large air pocket in the mix, which eventually released down the 4 ft stuffed casing and blowing it up the entire length like a balloon... needed a lot of manipulating to expel it. I think it's known as 'the learning curve'. :lol:

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies