Electric Slicers

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Electric Slicers

Postby SimonF » Mon May 16, 2005 8:10 am

Can anyone recommend a good electric Food Slicer. I am looking for something that is robust and can cut bacon (currently curing my first bacon!). Budget would be up to around �100.00.

Tks

Simon
SimonF
Newly Registered

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 16, 2005 8:21 am

SimonF

Have you tried looking on Ebay, they usually have a few decent used ones. You get a better search result entering 'slicer' than 'electric slicer'. Only thing is because of the bulk of the item they are normally buyer collects, so always note item location. There are a few at present in the London area.

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon May 16, 2005 9:36 am

If you are thinking of slicing bacon. I would recommend the types below. If you decide on another type you may be disappointed.

The top one only has a few hours left on the auction.

This is the one I would like if I had the room.

Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 16, 2005 10:34 am

Oddley,
That bottom one is like one I used to use ( be made to use) when I was working for David Grieg at Eltham in 1969. I was quite horrified by it only being 15 at the time. Although hand operated I recall it was very smooth and pretty much effortless. Back in the days of proper bacon. I learned to bone sides of bacon etc before leaving on disagreeable terms a few months later.. slavedrivers. :cry:

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon May 16, 2005 11:03 am

Hi Paul I too worked in a butchers. I was 12 and a Saturday boy, it was 1964 long hours very little money. But unlike you I was always treated kindly. I was never allowed to use the machinery.

I think perhaps the cause of loutish behaviour from some young people can be put down to being spoilt by their parents. Being given everything you want on demand, I don't think is a good thing.

I was working at the age of 12 because my parents couldn't afford to give me everything. If I wanted something I had to go out and get it myself.

My kids were bought up the same and in an area where the majority of the school leavers go on the dole mine are all at work and earning a good living.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 16, 2005 11:48 am

Oddley,
The butchers I worked for was part of a small general store / supermarket. The butcher dept was split into two parts.. the butchers and the 'deli' (if such a thing existed then). I was a general dogsbody and was taught by an older qualified lad. Also within my remit was jointing chickens and cutting cheese. The hardest part of that being trying to lift a 96 lb Canadian Cheddar onto the counter.. OK if there was 2 of you.

Totally agree with your observations regarding youths of today. Makes me feel really old saying that, but you can see which ones will end up on drugs, dole, young parents.. I'm sure they do that as a hobby round my area, with no intention of ever working. No wonder my son emigrated.. If you attempt to help yourself in this country you get no help, whereas.. enough said.

We appear to have drifted off the subject of slicers.. I was very tempted the other week to put a bid on one in Sheerness, Kent.. buyer collect. It went for �20.05.. unbelievable for a working heavy duty slicer. Was pondering with the idea of curing some bacon a bit later and was going to buy it 'just in case'. The wife put her foot down with a firm hand though.

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon May 16, 2005 12:10 pm

The problem with these pro slicers is the size and weight. I'm in negative nookie points with the wife already with all the kit I have - something as large as a slicer would tip me over the edge for sure :lol:
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 16, 2005 12:47 pm

Aris,

I am completely the opposite with regards to the wife (not the nookey bit) but she doesn't mind at all with my sausage making activities. I always clear my mess and keep it to a minimum. She is just pleased with the end result.
I am lucky that I made a brick built workshop for woodworking and although it is pretty full of tools both small and large I can usually find just enough room for other things by moving stuff about. I had to recently chop some bits off my router table so that the new undercounter freezer would fit, must admit I would have a job finding somewhere for an industrial type slicer.
She was just a bit concerned that I would get one and then not make bacon. I just have to convince her that one thing is a natural progression to the next. I will do this one warm evening when she has had a few glasses of wine. This is how I now have a workshop where a lawn once stood. :lol: The powers of wine and logical deduction always lead to a favourable conclusion. Is there nothing that alcohol cannot do?

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

More advice on slicers please

Postby SimonF » Tue May 17, 2005 8:44 pm

Thanks for all the updates (including the wifes' tales) - any thoughts on a non-industrial slicer? eg the one Franco has on the Website? I'm not sure the kitchen has room for a big slicer (would have to get rid of the pinball machine!).

Thanks for all your help.

BTW - Bacon 1st then Sausages (haven't told my wife yet though!)

Rgds

Simon
SimonF
Newly Registered

Postby Oddley » Tue May 17, 2005 9:00 pm

The only advice I can dredge up is. If you use a non commercial slicer partially freeze your bacon before slicing.
Oddley
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies