Use of FW2864 Mincer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Postby grant » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:07 pm

Hi Paul,
Can you tell me what 'leader runners' are? (in one of your posts)

Regards,

Grant
grant
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:07 pm

Grant

Leaders or leader runners are the sinew that attaches the muscle ends to the bones, tendons. When boning they have a very similar texture to hard fat (back fat) nearest the skin, but once cooked are as hard as cartilage or bone.. Very unsavoury. I try to rid the mix of these.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

leaders/runners

Postby grant » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:21 pm

Thanks for that Paul.

Grant
grant
Registered Member

Postby rbramley » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:08 pm

Hi there,
I am also a newcomer to the wonderful world of sausage making. I am using the FW 2684 as well and use the larger circular plate with the knife to do my mincing. I am right in saying that the blades should be facing with the flat side down ? The first couple of batches I made with the smaller circular plate, but found the mince far too mushy.

Also, does anybody know what size of chunks should I cut the meat into before passing it through the mincer ?

One final question. Sometimes when I am mincing, I get a black like substance on the minced meat which seems to come from the machine. Is there anyway of avoiding this ?

many thanks.
rbramley
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:55 pm

Sounds like one of two reasons... It may be lubricant from the machine parts or, a little more worryingly, it could be fine metal dust produced if there is some misalignment in the mincer. A complete dismantlement of the mincing end of the machine, a good clean and careful reassembling, looking for any worn areas, should cure it.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby rbramley » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:12 pm

thanks. I have found that the plates do get a mark from the blades. Is this something that you see ? I put the plate directly on top of the blade part which I put face down (the flat side of the blades are facing into the machine). Is this the right way to go about it ?
rbramley
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:39 pm

Hi Richard

The blade side ie:- the cutting edge should be facing the front of the machine and pressing against the mincing plate

Hope this helps

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:55 pm

rbramley

I also use the FW2864. I will try to explain. Insert the worm screw into the housing, it only goes in one way. The 4 pronged blade is then put on the front of the worm screw, right onto the square section part of the spindle. The 4 pronged blade should have the flat sides facing outwards so as to touch the grinder plate full on when that is put into the 2 side lugs of the wormscrew housing. Then secure it in place with the large threaded nut.
You have 2 grinder plates with holes in, either can be used depending on the size of mince required. The third plate you have with the larger tiangular holes is used as a spacer with the cookie maker attachment.. I do not believe it is a blade. I sometimes get small parts of dark gray residue through the grinder. I think you will find this is after it has been working for a while and normally I find it happens towards the end of a 2 or 3 kilo grind. I just look for it at the end of the grind and remove it. I think it is where meat and fat sit on the central bit of the plate where there are no holes, and during the rest of the grinding it warms up through friction of the centre spindle rotating.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:44 pm

BTW rbamley

The marks on the grinder plate that you are experiencing is due to the grinder plate not being completely flat. The plate on mine tended to be concave one side and convex the other. You probably won't detect it with the naked eye, but it's there. The marks appeared the same on both sides but in fact were 90 degrees to one another. I have solved it by flattening both the blade and the grinder plate to a fashion on a wetted diamond stone, this has also reduced the 'gray' particles, and gives a more pleasing texture to the mince. It used to be a bit pulpy (if thats a word), but is now more defined and acceptable. I think it is a case of you get what you pay for, as the FW 2864 is a low end piece of equipment, but I cannot warrant getting a proffessional one.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:09 pm

Good point Paul the FW 2864 is a good machine (as discussed in a thread elsewhere) but does have its limitations. I too have had to grind the blades and plate to make sure that they are flat. I found it a good idea to score (very gently!) with a file, the BACK (side facing away from the blade) so as not to forget which face matched up with the blade.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:31 pm

Hobbitfeet

I have actually ground down both sides of the grinder plate so that I can use both sides. It is a lot easier to put an edge back on the blade than the grinder plates. How's that for economics :wink:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:43 pm

You are a shrewd man and I bend the knee to a Master of the Sausage.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Heather » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:32 pm

I bought a FW2864 in the last couple of weeks, after having used a Porkert number 5 (I think) for the last few months. We made approximately 7kg of boerewors and sausage last week, and the FW was brilliant.

We used the mincer plate as supplied, the texture of the finished meat was good, and we used the medium sized stuffing tube from the Porkert, with natural hog casings, and again had no problems.

I must add, though, that we do not add rusk or water (only use a small proportion of liquid if called for in a recipe), and go back to basics for spice mixes (ie. grind our own from pure spices wherever possible for maximum effect).

After having used a manual system for months (and still managed around 5kg in an afternoon), the electric kit is brilliant.

On another topic completely, we also recently bought a new pasta machine, an Imperia with an attachable electric motor - I would definitely recommend it.

I must admit, hubby is in his element with all these new "power tools" to use.
Heather
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:46 pm

Heather

I must agree that the FW2864 is a nice machine, especially after hand mincing. I minced approx 30lbs of meat on saturday and the FW2864 handled it well.

Do you not find the texture of your sausages on the hard side, bearing in mind you don't add any rusk?

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Heather » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:31 pm

Paul,

I don't actually find the sausages hard or dry at all, they seem to be stuffed to the right amount but certainly aren't overstuffed.

Saying that, I tend to grill, roast or barbeque the sausages, and don't overcook them either.

They may not be as soft as commercial sausages, but I actually prefer it that way, especially knowing that there's no rubbish in them.
Heather
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies