Use of FW2864 Mincer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Use of FW2864 Mincer

Postby jimbo » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:22 pm

As a beginner at sausage making I purchased a 2864 mincer but was a bit puzzled about sequence of use. I have read many of the postings on the subject of this mincer and its plate and nozzle sizes etc. but am still not sure I am doing it right.

I first grind the very cold meat using the plate with the largest holes with the knife mounted behind it. The mince thus obtained I then mix with other ingredients and push it through the mincer again. For this second mincing I change the plate in the mincer to the one with the triangular shaped holes but still leave the knife mounted on the end of the spiral and of course mount the stuffing tube on the end. The finsl product has a finer consistency than I would really like. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if my method is correct and what you are supposed to do.
jimbo
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:36 pm

Hi Jimbo

Whilst I do not have the same mincer, I will try to answer your question.
You are doing everything correctly, but if you want a more coarse mix then take out the blade / knife when you change the plate to the triangular one.

Hope this helps

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:58 pm

Hi Jimbo, I use this mincer but only once with the coarse mincer and then mix in a bowl with seasonings, etc afterwards. I then use a sausage stuffer but have used the mincer with tube, I think without blade just the triangular disc in from memory, just one mince like this gives a good textured sausage with a drop of breadcrumb in
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby jimbo » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:46 pm

Many thanks for your response. It's reassuring to know i am not to far out. I will try leaving the knife out for the second grind and see if that works. It has been very educational following some of the discussions etc on this forum. Keep it up. thanks again.

Jimbo
jimbo
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:09 am

Jimbo, When stuffing, I don't use the triangular plate. The stuffer tube comes with a black plastic plate that has a metal guide hole in the middle. Take off the blade and just use the plastic stuffer with the black plastic guide inserted, to stuff your casings. To be honest I don't know the purpose of the plate with the triangular holes because on inspection it doesn't seem to have sharp edges, so I personally don't see it as being a cutter. I think it is there to be used with the cookie making attachments.
It would be nice if it were a cutting plate cos then we would have a plate for a nice coarse mince.

When using the FW 2864 I only mince once and then mix by hand and then stuff.

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:52 pm

I thoroughly agree, Paul. I have tried stuffing the sausages with all sort of arrangements and can see no discernable difference between any of them. I too just use the black filler tube on its own - seems to work fine!
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Twoscoops » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:41 pm

I've always used the triangular plate to mince for sausages - I hadn't thought about it not being sharp! the first sausages I made I used a finer plate, and the finished product was too dense.

I take the cutting blade out for stuffing. This is especially important for making salami and chorizo, as you need pea-sized lumps of fat in the mix, which the cutting blade will obviously mince.
Twoscoops
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:05 pm

I must admit that the FW 2864's lack of a really course mincing plate a little frustrating. If I need a courser mix for a particular sausage, I mince about 2/3 of the meat (nearly but not quite frozen) in the FW and process the rest in a food processor - particularly if I want to keep the fat in relatively larger pieces. The two parts are mixed with whatever spices, etc and then stuffed, without any blades, via the FW.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

mincing

Postby grant » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:04 pm

Hi all,
I find that; if you choose your meat from a butcher or abbatoir in sufficient quantites, they will often mince it for you in the grades you wish.
I find this helps in many ways but the most important in my opinion is that you get to choose your meat from the display and therefore know what's going into the mincer (as opposed to buying just minced meat when you don't know whats gone into it)
I think most butchers would oblige if you were buying sufficient quantities.
Personally, I buy 30 pounds at a time.
Hope this is of interest.

Regards,

Grant
grant
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:28 pm

Grant,
I have taken up sausgage making because of the indifferent quality of commercially produced sausage. I do not, would not allow a butcher to process my meat, just supply it. A comercial butcher does not have the time to properly bone and process meat and eliminate bone, cartilage, leader runners and the like. They cannot spend the time to do it as you and I can. They generally make thier own sausages from 'trimmings'.

I take your point regarding the butcher mincing your requirement, but personnaly I would buy the meat and mince my own and control what goes into the mix.. just my opinion you understand. Cartilage, bone and leader runners are eliminated.

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby grant » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi Paul,
I take your point however, if you choose your 'boned' meat from the display then you should receive what you have chosen.
I would not for one second, allow my butcher to add his own spices etc.
I would simply ask him to mince my chosen meat.
I am relatively new to sausage making and consequently realise that I have a lot to learn. Your advice and experiences are always welcome.

Kind regards,

Grant.

P.S. I would always watch 'my chosen meat' being minced.

Grant
grant
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:18 am

Grant

I have purchased a Victorinox boning knife and always keep it well honed. On first using it to remove the bones from a pigs belly I noticed that due to it's very keen edge it was actually cutting slivers off the rib bones, and I found I had to be a lot more careful. I have also bought boned out joints from butchers only to find small bits of bone and cartilage.

A technique I saw used was the butcher would make a loop of twine and loop it around the rib bones and pull it down, resulting in the twine doing the boning, he was very skilled at it and I doubt any bone was left on the meat.

regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby grant » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:33 pm

Many thanks Paul,
I have also seen this technique (Twine) many years ago and I was in awe of the butchers skills! I am, as you know, fairly new to the sausage making fraternity and didn't even think of matters such as 'bone splinters' etc. However, I have taken it on board and will no doubt address this problem as time goes by.
I am sure that every body has recipes for the usage of the extricated bones but here is what I did with my 'boning' escapade when I boned some belly for bacon;
First option:
Buy some good quality 'Lincoln pea soup' and make up as normal. (we can't buy Lincoln pea soup here in the UK, I don't know why, but it suddenly went off the market) Anyway, once you have made your soup, just add your bones and simmer for about one hour. You may want to add your own herbs and spices but it is perfectly OK just as it is!
Second option (and much better)
Buy some dried green peas (we call them 'sloppy, mushy or 'chip shop' peas) Don't be tempted to buy '2 hour soak mushy peas' because they are rubbish! They must be the one's that you soak for twelve hours.
Once you have soaked the peas (for twelve hours) put them into a pan with the required amount of water and then add your bones. Boil the peas for the required time (on the instructions) You will need to add water as the cooking process continues and to attain the required 'soup viscosity'. then add one or two Ham flavoured stock cubes and simmer for a further one hour. After one hour, you will have a really tasty pork and ham flavoured soup with the added benefit of being able to 'suck the meat off the bones'.
It sounds quite involved but it is really easy and wonderful on a cold frosty night.

Kind regards,

Grant.
grant
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:04 am

Grant

At present I discard my pork bones, sacrilage I know, but later will be using them to make a reduce stock which will set.. for use in home made pork pies.. Another one of my intended projects.

I use 'knorr' ham cubes to liven up Pui lentils, and have used them in mushy peas, it's a good product albeit a bit sweet.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:25 am

I agree re fine mince and was wondering if anyone could get in touch with the company to enquire if they have a larger bored plate they could offer as an extra?
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies