table top smoker

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

table top smoker

Postby grant » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:50 pm

Hi all,
Can anybody tell me anything about the table top smoker?
How big is it and how much can you put in it?
What fuel does it use? (I know that it uses sawdust but is there an additional fuel requisite?) ((Such as meths etc.))
Would love to get into smoking (as a hobby) and would appreciate any information you can provide.

Many thanks,

Grant.
grant
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:36 pm

Grant

I am in a similar position, I would like to try smoking, and have sent the wife out to buy a baking tray, on which I will put some wood chippings.. for the BBQ.
This is with a view of buying one of Franco's table top smokers.
I would also like to know the opinions regarding the table top smoker from people who have used it.

Regards Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby grant » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:01 pm

Thanks Paul.
Hope we get some suggestions.

Grant
grant
Registered Member

Postby Bad Flynch » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:05 am

I like my Bradley. Last weekend I smoked 2 chickens and a brisket that weighed 11+ pounds, all at one time and had a shelf left over. Had to cut the brisket in half to fit. The day before, I did a pork loin roast ~4.5lbs.

I envision hanging about 25 pounds of summersausage when the time comes that it is cool enough to do that. The Bradley needs a box inserted in the smoke path in order to cold smoke well. There is also an aftermarket sausage hanging rack that is the hots. Go to the Bradley forum for more direct information.

I bought an after-market temperature control for more accurate control, but it isn't needed to do an adequate job. $250.00, but it is really great.

The Bradley uses proprietary wood "pucks" that are a little expensive, but are the ultimate in convenience and smoking rate.
B.F.
Bad Flynch
Registered Member

Postby Deer Man » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:15 am

Table top smokers like the one on the site are excellent for smoke roasting! They get very hot because of the sealed lid. They normaly are used with meths and woodchips inside or sawdust. They are a good alternative for the BBQ at the beach, but because of the high temps your precious sausages will split but they will tase great!

3-4 large trout or 3 small pheasnts.

A nice alternative to the outside grill with fantastic aroma.
Safe Shooting, Good Hunting, Eat Well!
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:44 am

I want to smoke too - but i'm put off by the proprietary 'pucks' that the Bradley uses - so i'll do a DIY job of some sort (i'm undecided as to what/how).

As for smoking in the BBQ, i've used the tin-foil method which works well.

Take some wood chips, soak half in water, and then wrap them in several layers of tin-foil. Poke some holes in it with a knife, and put it on the BBQ.

If you have a gas BBQ with two burners, then put your meat on one side with no heat, and the wood-chips on the other side on a low heat. Close the cover of the BBQ - and monitor the temperature.
aris
Site Admin

Bradley smoker

Postby grant » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:06 pm

Many thanks for that Bad Flynch.
Looks as if you are into it in a big way. I think it's a bit adventurous for me at the moment.
Do you have the address for the Bradley forum?
Many thanks for your comments and idea's.
regards,

Grant
grant
Registered Member

smoking

Postby grant » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:14 pm

Many thanks Deer Man.
I would be smoking a lot of sausage so I don't suppose it's the right one for me.
I am capable (just) of making my own smoker but have been put off by the lengthy smoking times for most cuts (Cold smoking) Some recipes in my book take up to 3 days cold smoking. It sounds like a lot of monitoring to me. (Impatient)
My book is: HOME SMOKING AND CURING by Kieth Erlandson. I can guess that most of you have already read it! The book has some good and simple designs for making several different smokers.
Thanks again,

Grant.
grant
Registered Member

writings from Smoke upon stench

Postby grant » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:29 pm

Thanks aris,
I agree with you about the 'pucks' for the Bradley. I am sure that they are wonderful but it seems a bit like cheating. Please don't anybody be offended by that because I have never ever smoked anything and I'm probably wrong. I just like the idea of using wood 'cut off's' etc. (each to his own)
As far as the BBQ smoker is concerned; It sounds quite good to me!

I had to smile when somebody on this forum said it was good to take one of the smokers to the beach (table top I think) I live in Stoke upon Trent
(affectionateley known as: 'Smoke upon Stench') Staffordshire England and the closest we get to a beach around here is at the local park duck pond! I am surrounded by derelict Pottery factories and McDonalds. Paints a pretty picture don't it!

Many thanks Aris for your suggestions.

Regards,

Grant
grant
Registered Member

Postby Deer Man » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:54 pm

An excellent book! I am lucky I can go to the beach or the country. Time on the other hand is a different matter! :(
Safe Shooting, Good Hunting, Eat Well!
Deer Man
Registered Member

Postby grant » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:30 pm

Hi Deer Man,
It sounds as if you live in a nice place.
I spent a long time living in mainland europe (with my work) and the style of life is so much more enjoyable there. (and less sressfull)
I retired in Spain but after two years, I came home to be with my kids (grown up)

Kind regards,

Grant
grant
Registered Member

Postby Bad Flynch » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:48 am

>Do you have the address for the Bradley forum?<

Try this: http://forum.bradleysmoker.co.uk/forum/default.asp . I thought that the UK address would be appropriate for you, but there is a North American site, too. The North American site is identical and, I believe, concurrent with the UK site. Hope that helps.
B.F.
Bad Flynch
Registered Member

Bradley forum

Postby grant » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:25 pm

Thanks for that Bad Flynch.

Regards,

Grant
grant
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies