Smoker Plans

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Smoker Plans

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:39 am

Hi All

The links below are for those of you with enough time, energy & space to build your own smoker
I hope you find them useful
http://www.canr.uconn.edu/ansci/ext/bui ... ehouse.pdf
http://www.bbqguide.com/recipes/tabltopsmk.htm
http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:28 am

Here is a challenge for you - where do you get an inexpensive single hotplate in the UK? :-)
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:39 am

Really interesting Sausagemaker,

I particularly like the look of the wood built one, I wonder if my other half would go for it though, it would have a bit of an imposing impact on the garden. Would look as if we have an outdoor 'dunny' :lol:

In the information text for the first one they mention NOT to use galvanised steel ( I know why this is so, because when heated it lets off carcinagenic fumes) yet the 3rd one is made from a dustbin, which of course is galvanised. The same applies to the bin incinerators we get in this country.. which are also galvanised..

Very informative though.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:19 am

Aris
Would an electric wok not do the same thing. you could proably pick one up on ebay for a tenner on a good day.
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:52 am

Mhh, yes perhaps an electric frying pan might do it, though i'm not sure if it is hot enough. Thanks for the idea - i've got one of those in the garage which we don't use! :-)
aris
Site Admin

Postby Shaun » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:49 am

If you could get it hot enough, I'm sure your biltong box would double up as a smoking box. Not sure if it would taint the wood though and then spoil your biltong.
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby thostorey » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:05 am

Interesting caution about using galvanized steel. I was considering building a small wooden smokehouse then lining the inside with heavy duty aluminium foil to make it less likely to catch fire (?) Foil should be strong enought for the amount of disturbance it would see. Maybe the foil wouldn't be necessary if the hot plate and wood holder were shielded from the side of the house.

Anyway, I have a nice seculuded spot behind the house to set it up and I have a few sheets of laminated pine pannels I have no other plans for so I think I'll give it a go. I'll post a pic or two when it's done unleses it burns down first :)

Tom
Tom in Qualicum Beach
thostorey
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:23 am

Tom

If you made a small box to house the heat source and have it a few feet away you could make the smoker out of your pine panels. The smoke could travel from the source to the smoke box via a flexible aluminium tube. The tubes are used for cooker hood vents and are normally either 4" or 6" diameter, and are generally readily available. You would not need to fire-proof the pine, and with a few vents top and bottom of the smoke box you would get a good cold smoke. All speculation you understand as I only have done hot smoking, worth a try though I feel.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

SMOKERS

Postby angliski » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:44 pm

i use a small shed purchased from a national DIY chain here in UK, cost �59.
Into this I put some 1.5inch diameter willow branches to hang meat from.

For a smoke source, I currently use a cake tin with holes cut in two sides, which I fill with sawdust, (free from a local logging firm) and fired by means of a blowtorch.
It works really well, but I am about to upgrade by making an exterior oven with a hotplate, connected by aluminium ducting to the shed. In this way I can keep the smoke really cool in the summer.

When I need a warmer smokehouse, I have a Jensen Little chef hot smoker in the shed which I use to control the inside temp. This will I think be useful for drying salami.

Hope this helps

Steve
angliski
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:02 am

Welcome to the forum angliski.

Thanks for the info!
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:42 am

Anyone interested in smoking and or building smokers should have a look at this website. They have a big section on smoking and building smokers of all types. The webmaster just informed me that in the very near future they will ad more than 100 pages of new material about smoking.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/index.html
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:19 am

Sounds good angliski - i'd love to see a picture of your smoker - inside and out.
aris
Site Admin

Return to Equipment & Supplies