Mini fridge ... finally.

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Mini fridge ... finally.

Postby big_onion » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:56 pm

Given our space restrictions (meaning we're pretty full up) I was really limited on what I could use for drying cured meats. The little box mini fridge (that doesn't even properly fit a 6 pack) was just too small and had one of those little freezer units that kept leaking if kept at too low of a temperature.

So, I went out this weekend and picked up one of these:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/produ ... rod1260093

It's pretty tall, almost totally open inside without the shelves and fits right under the second kitchen counter we have, so it's not taking up any important space in the house. I aired it out and cleaned it yesterday and have it running now with the built in thermostat cranked down and with my temp control set at 60. Hopefully it can hold a decent temp and not have too much condensation. Since it's still somewhat small I t think a humidifier is overkill so I'll try a bowl of salt water, and use something to prop the door open a bit to get some air circulating (which might help with any condensation).

I've got a pork loin curing for a lonzino right now so hopefully I can get this thing functional enough to hang it and see how it goes.

Sorry for the lack of anything too exciting, but I've been wanting something like this just for meat for awhile. Thank goodness nobody but my girlfriend saw me dancing around the kitchen like a happy fool. :)
big_onion
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:44 pm

Just wondering if a wine fridge would do the trick my one is set for 16Celcius
cost about $100 from Aldi big enough for 48 bottles
they are pretty cheap secondhand of Ebay
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:22 am

I use a wine fridge, seems to work ok with some tinkering.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:15 am

Snags wrote:Just wondering if a wine fridge would do the trick my one is set for 16Celcius

16 C is too high. 12 C is about ideal, both for wine and dried charcuterie.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:51 am

grisell wrote:
Snags wrote:Just wondering if a wine fridge would do the trick my one is set for 16Celcius

16 C is too high. 12 C is about ideal, both for wine and dried charcuterie.

Don't know about the charcuterie, but although 16C is ok for serving red, you're completely right about it being far too warm for whites and storage.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:46 am

The fridge adjusts from 4 to 16C
I have red in it so 16 is my favourite
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby big_onion » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:31 pm

I thought about a wine fridge, but my thought was that those glass fronts allow for too much temperature change, so the fridge might be running more than it needed to be.

That being said, if I ever see one of those large beverage coolers that they have at gas stations (with the sliding doors) I'd be ALL OVER IT. They're just so darn big and well lit.

If I had one of those I think I'd put a couch in front of it and just stare at meat all day.
big_onion
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:40 pm

Light should be avoided when it comes to curing. Firstly and most importantly, it catalyzes rancidity in the fat via photochemical reactions. Secondly, the lighting gives off heat that will increase the power consumption. From this point of view, a wine fridge or beverage display cabinet is far from ideal.
Last edited by grisell on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:46 pm

Just turn the light off and put paper over the doors and you've got an excellent drying fridge though. :wink:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby big_onion » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Ah, good point on the light. I just think it'd look pretty all full of meat products. (And heck, at that size, maybe cheese if they can coexist in the same fridge.)
big_onion
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:28 pm

Yep, but most of these fridges have a separate switch for the light, so you can turn it on for half an hour or so to 'lust' after your salami! :lol: :wink:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby big_onion » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:03 pm

So I've been making sure the fridge door doesn't shut all the way by using a few little pieces of wood (that is, broken chopsticks) but I'm not sure there's enough air circulating in there.

Would it help to put a small fan in? It's not really large enough to fit all the bells and whistles that a larger drying fridge might have (for humidity there's some salt water). Any thoughts?

I have a lonzino in there now that's grown a few spots of mold (wiped them down with white vinegar, just in case). I need to weight it tonight, but it's been in there 10 days and I thought more drying would've occurred ... hrm.
big_onion
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Unless you have a particular problem, (say) constant very high humidity or major mould issues, I wouldn't bother with a fan. I would also be wary about having the door slightly open all the while - but only time (and case hadening will tell you. :cry: ).

It's hard to suggest drying setups as fridges seem to vary so much, as do things like ambient temp and RH, it's generally a case of trial and error.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby big_onion » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Definitely no case hardening issues, and the mold on there didn't look horrible, but I wiped it down just in case.

We'll see how it turns out. It was a pretty hefty pork loin (about 2.5kg) so I'm definitely not expecting overnight success. Haha.
big_onion
Registered Member

Postby Subhematoma » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:14 am

big_onion wrote:I thought about a wine fridge, but my thought was that those glass fronts allow for too much temperature change, so the fridge might be running more than it needed to be.

That being said, if I ever see one of those large beverage coolers that they have at gas stations (with the sliding doors) I'd be ALL OVER IT. They're just so darn big and well lit.

If I had one of those I think I'd put a couch in front of it and just stare at meat all day.

LOL :lol:
Subhematoma
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies