Biltong mix

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Postby aris » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:16 pm

I keep my box in the garage - it's not a problem. Just keep the meat well spaced and you should be eating in 3-4 days.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:01 pm

aris

I am looking forward to it. As I said, it smelled superb.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:07 am

It appears to be done already. I have just tasted one of the smaller pieces and it has a firm bite. It has shrunk down to about 1/2 its original width. It is quite a prominent black pepper taste (doubt the wife will try it as she's not keen on black pepper) and a slight salt taste and you can just taste the vinegar. The coriander doesn't come through at all and that is due to the amount of black pepper I put on. Can't taste the garlic powder either, so more of that next time. I reckon it will be a superb snack munch in the summer along with a few bevvies. Next batch I will ease back on the pepper and increase the coriander and garlic.

The temperature of the box was approx 22�C with 38% RH throughout almost 3 days it took to dry.

Has anybody tried the sausagemaking.org biltong blends?, and do they still require the use of the biltong box?

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:26 am

You don't really need pepper. It shouldn't taste salty per se - the salt just acts as a slight preservative and extracts excess water. It should taste of, well meat, or biltong :-) The only spices you really need are salt, & roughly crushed corriander, and even that is optional.

Try experimenting with different vinegars, like wine vinegar. You can also add a few splashes of tabasco, or worshetershire sauce for a different flavour.

How thick did you cut the raw meat Paul? How about posting some pictures of the finished product (cut and uncut).

Everyone likes their biltong different - some like it dry, some like it wet. I like it somewhere in between where the outsice of the meat is nice and dark, and the inside is a nice moist burgandy red. This is achieved by drying very slowly.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:56 am

aris

I cut the meat about 1/4" - 3/8" thick. I know I have overdone it a bit on the pepper though. I reckon I may have cut it too thin as well as it is quite dry (still flexible) and quite dark. I find it quite enjoyable though and will try some later with a glass or 2 of dry cider. You can see in the photos how much it has dried out as the white plate is a lot bigger than the blue one. Also, I got no drips in the box. I will definitely be having another go at it but easing back on the pepper. Also, I used pre-ground ingredients.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:21 pm

Yes, too thin. I'd go for half an inch thick to make moist biltong.

Also in the second picture, it looks fairly white. This is either white mould, or too much salt. I suspect salt.

Also - no need to take the fat off - this is the best part when dried!
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:30 pm

Probably too much salt. I did wipe off the spice coating after removing it from the box. I have never seen let alone taste biltong before so was at a disadvantage in that I didn't know what end result to aim for..

ps. I've eaten 3 bits already. :lol:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:51 am

I now know what Biltong should look like, there is some information and pictures on this site: http://www.shebeen.com/biltong/

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:46 pm

Yes, slightly different method, but same result.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:10 pm

Paul, to echo aris's comments, I would cut the meat thicker, up to an inch is OK if you like your biltong a bit "wetter", and just leave in the box until it reaches the right consistency and taste. Coarse-ground corainder seeds are almost a must for biltong, and I have had success using balsamic vinegar in the preparation stage. Like aris, I also leave the fat on the meat if at all possible, as the taste is very good.

In South Africa there are small shops that sell only biltong, usually pre-sliced commercial stuff, but they are somewhat similar to the olive stalls you see at markets here, various different flavours etc. for you to choose from.

Good luck with the next batch, now you've got me thinking it's time I made some myself, haven't had any for months.
Heather
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:04 pm

Heather

Thanks for the advice. It was a bit thin but all got eaten, quite a bit of chewing though :roll: had to keep sipping cider to moisten it. :wink:

The reason there was hardly any fat on the meat is that I could only get topside which had been rolled with the added flattened fat, so when I snipped the twine the fat just came away, other than that it was a very lean piece of meat.

I intend to make some more when time and circumstances permit.. The biltong box is currently housing 2 salamis with 'experimental' casings, they take up most of the biltong box, so may be some time unless I can transfer them to somewhere suitable:

I have also decided to try the garlic and chilli biltong mix which Franco sells, and that should be with me by Friday hopefully.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby J.P. » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:25 pm

Paul Kribs wrote:Probably too much salt. I did wipe off the spice coating after removing it from the box. I have never seen let alone taste biltong before so was at a disadvantage in that I didn't know what end result to aim for..

Well, if you can make your way to Ally Pally on sunday,
there's a Biltong seller sometimes there at the farmer's market.
(I don't know if the market is closed for the winter, but it may well be still going...)
J.P.
-
Eat, Drink, Be Merry and Prepare
For the Lupercalia Approaches.
February 15!
-
'Quel che non ammazza, ingrassa.'
J.P.
Registered Member

Postby J.P. » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Paul Kribs wrote:The biltong box is currently housing 2 salamis with 'experimental' casings...

Were did you get them? (I like the twine)
J.P.
-
Eat, Drink, Be Merry and Prepare
For the Lupercalia Approaches.
February 15!
-
'Quel che non ammazza, ingrassa.'
J.P.
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:06 pm

J.P.

Franco sent them to me to try out. They are made in Germany. I don't know if Franco will stock them but I must say thus far I am very impressed with them. Very durable. I really punished them when stuffing and they stood up to it. If all goes well you end up with daisy shaped salami at the end of it. :shock:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies