Sausage smoker help/recomendations

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Sausage smoker help/recomendations

Postby Vindii » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:50 pm

I want to either buy or build a smoker to smoke sausage. Kind of looking for something big enough that I can hang them. I don't know if propane, electric, or charcoal would be best? Will they all hold as low as 140?

It cold in the winter here and I'd still like to be able to use it. Would it have to be insulated to use when its 10 degrees F?

Any advice from the pros here?
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:32 pm

I plan on copying Solaryellow's design someday when I find the time. Here's a link;
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... ght=smoker
He also burns gas or electric.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:54 am

Dan, Home Depot has 3/4" hardwood plywood in oak and birch, using soy based glues, so no formaldehyde out gassing.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:11 am

Thanks for the heads up Tom, Where did you find that info?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Homemade smoker

Postby Nanomite » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:06 am

I use a large oil drum used for shipping (never had oil in). Holes in the bottom in the centre and a smaller tin (Mingles tin) as the smoke chamber underneath. A hole in the side of the small tin for a 30W soldering iron ( never used for soldering). Damp oak shaving (kindly given by the local wood yard) in the small tin and insert the soldering iron through the hole. Loosely pack the damp shaving in the can and bobs your uncle cheap cold smoker.

Never tried it with sausages but have smoked plenty of chicken fillets. I put these in the large blue plastic crates that mushrooms come in and just stack them. I've easily smoked over 10Kg this way.

I imagine if you drill 2 small holes on either side then you can insert a rod from the top and hang your sausage links from that. As this smoker doesn't cook you can smoke all types of things including peppers and cheese.
Nanomite
Newly Registered

Postby BriCan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:45 am

Going to pick up a walk in freezer 8 x 12

:shock:

I know that's what you are thinking :lol:

walk in freezer is a sealed unit SS inside, insulated, no running gear and you can buy at auction for $200/$400
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:21 am

I've made two large smokers in the past from NEMA enclosures. Like the ones I found they are fairly common at scrap yards. These enclosures are designed for use as electrical cabinets and are sealed and usually very heavy duty. The ones I converted were about 6 1/2 ft high, had rubber sealed doors. I took out the rubber seals and replaced with high temp silicone, had them sand blasted, used hi temp paint on the outside, and seasoned them on the inside. You can probably find them on ebay also.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:17 pm

BriCan wrote:Going to pick up a walk in freezer 8 x 12

:shock:

I know that's what you are thinking :lol:

walk in freezer is a sealed unit SS inside, insulated, no running gear and you can buy at auction for $200/$400

Ive been looking for a good deal on a food warming rack. Something smaller than what your talking about but something tall. Maybe 4 x 4 x 8. Whatever size they come.

Havent been able to find an insulated one yet.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:58 am

I have decided to puchase a secondhand non working proofing unit.7'Hx3'Wx2'6"D. with stainless racks and adjustable as well
Fully insulated, stainless inside and out, on large casters.
Just the bees knees for what I want.
I bet they are available around your area. as well. Try some bakery equipment suppliers, they like to get rid of their trade-ins cheap.
To complete it, I will be using an adjustable external smoke generator powered by an aquarium pump.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:10 am

A proofer has been on my list for a while but every time one comes up on craiglist I'm broke. Look for a proofer or bakers warming cabinet. a proofer will have humidity control and a max temp of 180°f which is perfect for sausage
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:23 am

Thank you Dan for that info.
I will look into this temperature and humidity controllability, it might even be useful a a curing unit with all the right gear.
The unit I am going to inspect has 40mm insulation all around, no dints, scratches etc. and sold locks.
Hopefully for once I am lucky.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby JLPicard » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:24 am

You could use an old refrigerator. I recently found an old one from the 1940's that I got for free. It is porcelain on the inside and after removing the small freezer box from inside the unit, it's pretty well ready to go. I installed a couple oak racks, cut a couple of intake and exhaust holes and installed a digital temperature controller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310362192797?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 with a thermocouple. I probably spent about $50 all told.

At first I purchased a cheap hotplate type burner from Amazon but found it was throwing out too much heat. I couldn't get it to give any smudge at lower temperatures, the fridge was just too well insulated. I then got a used George Foreman from the Salvation Army, salvaged one of the electric heat surfaces and wired it into my controller. It works just great, I can smudge while maintaining 120 to 130 degrees as well as take the smoker up to 170 if called for. I have even installed it into the corner of my basement and plumbed the exhaust and intakes thru some dryer ducts to the outside of my house, it seals pretty well, but the door seal is rather hard so I have to force the door tighter than the locking door handle will allow. I am planning on replacing the door gasket with a newer one before I give it another run.
JLPicard
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies