Buying Advice

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Buying Advice

Postby JasonC » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:52 am

I'm looking for some sound advice on what equipment I'll need to for sausage making.

I have a manual grinder (#12) and stuffer and have been making fresh sausage for a number of years, but I'm getting tired of having to hand grind/stuff so I"m looking at getting a nice electric machine.

My question is: With an electric grinder will I need a hand stuffer anymore? All of the machines seem to come with stuffing tubes and the documentation says that the electric grinders can also be used as a stuffer.

Most of the folks on this board seem to be using vertical stuffer so that leads me to believe the electric machines either don't function as advertised OR there is some advantage to purchasing a quality vertical stuffer that I'm not aware of.

Any and all opinions are welcome
Thanks in advance.
JasonC
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:28 am

Jason,
Since you're looking to upgrade to an electric grinder, you can ask yourself if the #12 size is enough, or if you should go for an increase in grinder size. If you're good with a #12, then look for models that use 750W - 1000W, you don't want to get something that's underpowered. As for using the unit for combined mincer and stuffer, I think that the collective response is to not do it. After you grind the meat, then you reload the ground meat into the auger again, it gets partially reground by the action of the auger and becomes more of a paste. I'm not really big on the altered texture myself. You should probably look around at something like a decent 6 lb - 10 lb capacity stuffer, that should take care of your needs.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby JollyJohn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:18 pm

I agree, a mincer/stuffer is probably not the best solution. However, I bought this mincer http://www.northerntooluk.com/food-prep ... rch=SEARCH and it comes with stuffing tubes. I have only used it as a mincer, so don't know how well it works as stuffer. For stuffing, I bought this http://www.biltongbox.com/shop/index.ph ... oductId=48

Both pieces of kit work extremely well, and make the job a pleasure.

John.
JollyJohn
Registered Member

Postby JasonC » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks for the information. I was thinking a mincer/stuffer was too good to be true.

I'll just budget for a nice vertical stuffer to go along with my new mincer.
JasonC
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies