Just about there...Plz some guidance.

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Just about there...Plz some guidance.

Postby Subhematoma » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:23 am

Hello everyone and potential close friends.

I have spent the last months preparing to try my hand at making Bresaola. I have a small fortune for initial set up ($250) and I think I have everything that I would need.

My last placed order was for Clear Fibrous Casing for Salami/Bologna of different sizes as I am not sure what exact sizes I would be needing. I have some venison and thought I would do some beef.

I also ordered Mold 600' I was under the impression it was the only starter mold I could use. Hopefully it will be okay.

So my number one concern is this....I would like firm directions on how to mix this culture. I have seen several post and all 3 were different. I also am very wet behind the ears so to mention that you apply this via spooning over or spray AFTER you have placed it in the casing would be sooo helpful. I think after, am I correct? Please grind your teeth and explain this part in a detailed laymen term as its the only real confusion I am having before launching into my first drying process...... :oops: Does stroking the meat allow for the development naturally?

Anyhow...I bought the cases they are clear Fibrous casing not collagenous? Will this work? wrapped tight and pricked with sterile needle?

If any of you have used say a triple layer of cheesecloth (as most on the internet sights state), do I use the starter culture at all? Not to spray directly on the meat?

I look forward to sharing thought and knowledge and past lessons learned. I am from Michigan just to say hey..... Thank you for reading...
Subhematoma
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:49 am

Welcome to the forum! :D

Those were a lot of questions. I will try to answer some of them, and hopefully other members will help you with the rest.

It would help if you could post the recipe, but generally speaking:

First, you will have to cure the meat without casing and mould culture. This is done with salt, cure, spices etc according to the recipe you are using. The meat must at this stage be kept refrigerated (32-39 F). Time for curing depends on several factors. Follow the recipe (BTW, this is probably where the cheesecloth comes in, to distribute the curing liquid around the meat).

Then, you put the meat into the casing. After that, spray with the mould culture (onto the casing, not inside). The mould will need time to wake up and grow. I'm not familiar with that mould culture, but generally, this step is performed in a humid (90+% relative humidity) and warm (70-80 F) environment for a few days. During this time, lactic acid fermentation in the meat will take place, giving additional protection. No lactic acid culture is needed for whole meat (and it would be difficult to introduce it anyway). The bacteria are already there.

When the mould has started to grow out, the meat is then moved to the drying chamber (circa 54 F, 75-ish% R.H.).
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby bwalt822 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:42 pm

http://www.sausagemaker.com/productdocs/bactoferm_600_mould_info.pdf

This website sells it so I assume the pdf is based on info from the manufacturer of the mold. I followed their directions on another starter culture and it worked fine.
bwalt822
Registered Member

Postby Subhematoma » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Thanks for the welcome, You answered my question that was needed about the bact being used on the outside of the casing. This was one of my worries as the direction that was kindly linked to me (thank you for that) kinda missed that step directly and is more vague.

I am currently trying to get my humidity up in my box. I have a small fog maker or one of them decorative devices but as of 20 mins of running it my humidity has not changed...Patience is the game sigh.........But thank you. I am hoping I can post any bumps I have then I would eventually like to post my success story and recipe to assist others.

Thank you again for the kind directions....Tim
Subhematoma
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies