$75 for a 5 pound Stuffer from Grizzly

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

$75 for a 5 pound Stuffer from Grizzly

Postby JLPicard » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:05 pm

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Sausage-Stuffer-Vertical/H6252
I am wondering if it has metal gears, can't really tell from the images. One looks metal the other image I can't say. Does anyone have one of these? Also wondering about a relief valve.
JLPicard
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:04 pm

The gear set looks like the nylon sets found on most of the less expensive versions of this type stuffer. Even on the pricier stuffers, the metal/stainless steel gear sets have been replaced with nylon. I've had my 5-lb vertical stuffer from The Sausage Maker for years, and it has the nylon gear set, and the gears have been durable and have held up with minimal wear. Mine did not come with a relief valve in the piston, and I installed one, myself. Works just fine. You can either fashion your own or buy one as a replacement part and install it.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Re: $75 for a 5 pound Stuffer from Grizzly

Postby SausageBoy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:34 am

JLPicard wrote:http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Sausage-Stuffer-Vertical/H6252
I am wondering if it has metal gears, can't really tell from the images. One looks metal the other image I can't say. Does anyone have one of these? Also wondering about a relief valve.

I have had one now for a couple years, the gears are definitely plastic.
Many have complained that the gears easily break, but I've been extra careful with mine and, so far, I haven't had a problem. You must be especially careful when the piston bottoms out or when stuffing small diameter sausages.
But, no doubt it's the best value in a stuffer, IMHO!

The LEM 5 lb. stuffer has metal gears and the Grizzly can be retrofitted with gears from LEM if the Grizzly gears ever break. That's my plan of attack!

Here's a link to LEM for the gears....

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/1470 ... ffer_Parts

Here's a good video review (not mine) of the Grizzly stuffer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iunQ1mBfzdg

SausageBoy
Registered Member

Re: $75 for a 5 pound Stuffer from Grizzly

Postby vagreys » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:19 am

SausageBoy wrote:...The LEM 5 lb. stuffer has metal gears and the Grizzly can be retrofitted with gears from LEM if the Grizzly gears ever break...

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought LEM had gone to the nylon gears like TSM. Good to know!
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Banjoe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:43 pm

SausageBoy - on reading your review I ordered up the Grizzly 5# unit.

Is there anything I should do about a pressure relief on this unit?
Banjoe
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi Joe....

The stuffer has a built-in relief valve.
The valve comes off easily for cleaning.

Here's one guy's video review....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iunQ1mBfzdg
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks for the link SausageBoy. Great descriptive video that clearly shows the relief valve. There was a comment about problems cleaning the valve but it didn't sound like that fellow removed it for proper cleaning. Good to hear that removal is possible as there could be a lot of potentially bad things lurking in there. We bleach wash our grinder parts to kill off the cooties - is there any problem tossing in all the stuffer parts too?

There was also a comment about changing out to LEM metallic gears should the nylon set strip out - seems to me that I've heard that from a wise fellow before.

I pick my new Grizzly unit up on Monday and should have it operating on Tuesday. I wasn't sure about the plunger gasket so I order a spare just in case it wore out. At the major cost of $1.00 I thought it would be good insurance.

This learning stuff is quite exciting!
Banjoe
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:21 pm

There's no problem in removing the valve, I don't understand why he made that comment.
All can be sanitized same as the grinder.

I think it was wise to order the extra gasket.... unfortunately they were out of them when I bought my grinder and I've yet to place another order with them....but I'll surely get an extra gasket or two when I do.

:D
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:14 pm

SausageBoy - if you need an emergency gasket, you know where you can find one. I know that they're very expensive, but I'll sacrifice the $1.00 for you. Postage may double that cost but I'll still step up if you need one.
Banjoe
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks for the offer.

:D
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Just opened up our new Grizzly 5 pound stuffer and it is quite a unit.

As SausageBoy has noted, it isn't well finished (actually looks like I did some of the welding work) but the important parts are all well done and substantial. Plastic gears fitted but they look substantial enough for my beginner work and it's been pointed out that they can be changed out to LEM metal gears if that time comes.

There is the required air release valve that is held in place with an easily removed acorn nut for cleaning.

Everything came covered with some kind of grease that was pretty hard to clean off. Not sure what it is but I don't want it in my food.

3 stuffer tubes come with the unit and they are all quite long so good lengths of casings can be stacked up for stuffing.

I ordered up spare gaskets at $1.00 each just in case we kill off them off. Not sure if we'll ever need them but they were pretty cheap insurance.

Nice little unit that should serve us well for many sausage runs.
Banjoe
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:57 pm

Did our first run of sausage with the Grizzly 5 pounder today. Not a pretty machine but well made, fully functional, and easy to use.

No problems setting up, using, and cleaning up. Bit of an issue with the air release valve. It has a steel acorn nut on top that is a bit rusty and difficult to remove for cleaning. I have to change it out to stainless steel and will hopefully find a stainless steel wing nut to make cleanup removal easier.

Nice unit for a nice price - thanks for the recommendation.
Banjoe
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies