Which Quality Grinder up to £300??

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Postby ChickenTurtle » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:25 am

Wow, thanks for all the advice peoples!

Martin, thanks for your tips on various methods to the madness, I'll definitely follow your lead with some of them!

Gill, yes I'm in in Redditch, so that butchers you mention will be worth a look! I might try some of my more local ones and see how receptive/miserable they are as well lol!

I was loathe to go to a butchers asking for meat 'to mince' as it might appear a bit like going to a restaurant & asking for some ingredients and a menu to cook yourself supper! However I'm no wilting violet & I can handle a few furrowed brows & miserable bar stewards, should I encounter them!

Thank once again so much for taking the time to reply, and judging by the views/posts ratio, can I encourage all 'lurkers' as I was but a few days ago to sign up & take part as it's far more rewarding to be 'on the inside!!"

Here's to Sausage Independence, Burger Bourgeoisie and Meatball Manifestos! Hurrah!

:P
Silence is Golden, but duct tape works better, and that comes in Silver!
ChickenTurtle
Registered Member

Postby ChickenTurtle » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:03 pm

Just a thought, Gill, how much is 'very reasonable' in terms of the pork prices?

I know what the supermarkets tend to charge in broad terms, but how much less (I assume it's less) should I expect to pay for bulk purchases from a local butcher, and what sort of quantities would I be expected to order at a time?

I don't want to get ripped off (not that the place you recommended would do that I'm sure) or get laughed out of the shop for expecting trade rates for 500g of pork!

Just a few pointers from anyone as to what they expect to pay for different cuts of any meat you care to think of would be a help!

Thanks
ChickenTurtle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:49 pm

Here's what I pay for pork from the butcher's at the abattoir (and the amounts I have to buy to get the cheap price):

http://www.joseph-morris.co.uk/pdf/meatlist.pdf

From the farm, I pay roughly £1 per pound dead weight for half a pig.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ChickenTurtle » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:17 pm

Phil, without you mate I'd have given up on this forum a long time (well days) ago. Thank you sir! :D
ChickenTurtle
Registered Member

Postby ChickenTurtle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:03 pm

Ok, there's been a problem and it looks like I'm not getting the grinder I wanted (long story)

Can anyone suggest anything?

I'm really not sure whether I just need a cheap old thing, or whether a light duties one of reasonable quality (No.8) would be ok.

I'm not going to be producing 300kg of sausage/burger a day ever, but I do want to be able to grind up small chicken bones, maybe just wings or maybe drumsticks too?

What should I buyyyyy??? :roll:
ChickenTurtle
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies