Uniworld brand

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Uniworld brand

Postby Trid » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:18 am

Does anybody have feedback/comments on "Uniworld" brand meat grinders? I don't know if this is a US-specific brand, but my search of the forum didn't turn up any results, and it seems to be a somewhat commonly stocked brand locally.

Thanks,
Trid
Insert signature here
Trid
Registered Member

Postby ChickenTurtle » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm no expert but have just ordered my first ever mincer/grinder.

In all my weeks of research & trawling the web I never came across Uniworld.

I did some online research for you and it seems they are a US based 'importer/manufacturer', although I suspect that's jargon for 'importer'.

I'd imaging they buy container loads of variable quality items quite cheaply from China/India/South America and put a healthy mark-up on top after re-branding it as their own and sell it to people looking for a 'bargain' or distribute in certain parts of the US where they have sales agents.

Here's their website if you want to check them out.

http://uniworldfoodequipments.com/

My personal view: I steered clear of a similar product which I saw on eBay which initially looked great. It was marketed by someone who was obviously working from home with a garage full of the things (the pictures were in someone's garden) but were sold as commercial grade.

On digging around I found these were made in China and distributed by half the chinese people on AliBaba.com.

I ended up ordering a Buffalo CD400 which seems to be a bonafide pro grinder (although a lower end model) and since all the UK catering wholesalers sell a range of Buffalo goods from electrical goods to ovens I felt that they were reputable.

Then again I seem to try to buy things that are better than I need, don't know why, it's just my character.

If you prefer the money to spend on something else, or prefer to 'make do' with a cheaper version of what basically just mashes up meat, then take a punt and buy one (I assume they're low priced). If it breaks, toss it in the bin and order another one! :D

Good luck whatever you choose to do!
Silence is Golden, but duct tape works better, and that comes in Silver!
ChickenTurtle
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:00 pm

I think you have to be a savvy shopper. True, some of these items might be of lower quality, but if you look at some of the products they are importing, it could just as easily be "LEM" or "Cabela's" or "TSM" or some other name brand tag on the grinder. In some cases, these are the very same pieces of equipment that you would happily buy from a more familiar source, without the brand markup.

When my shoulders were all screwed up from my kidney failure (loss of general muscle mass), and I could no longer operate my manual grinder, I bought an inexpensive electric grinder off ebay, knowing it was either a Chinese knock-off or an OEM product without tags. I knew what I was getting going into the deal, and I got a bargain. Yes, it has plated plastic and aluminum parts for some things, but the motor and gears are solid, and I use my own plates and knives, and it is a great grinder, even though it was not a name brand. Although I have recuperated and can use my manual grinder, I don't need to. This unidentified electric grinder with horrible Engrish instructions was a great deal.

I wouldn't write off Uniworld, but you need to compare the products they offer with similar name-brand offerings and see the similarities and differences for yourself.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby ChickenTurtle » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:56 am

I agree entirely with what you've just said, you pays your money, you takes your choice.

If you're just looking to grind a bit of meat now & then, don't bankroll the whole month's wages on the kit you buy.

If you've got an inkling this could become a hobby-business, then get the best you can afford, since my experience in self employment had taught me two things...If you scrimp, you'll regret it and secondly, if you scrimp, people will notice!

Just buy the cheap thing & have fun with it, like the guy above did. :arrow:
Silence is Golden, but duct tape works better, and that comes in Silver!
ChickenTurtle
Registered Member

Postby Bebe » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi Trid
I see you're in California, why don't you buy a Tasin 108 (yes, it's Chinese but well made) from http://www.onestopjerkyshop.com/tasin-ts-108-electric-meat-grinder-1/ ?
It's a good grinder, a bit more money than one from Northen but worth the price. I have one for 10-12 years now and still working great, never had a problem with it. If you want extra stainless steel plates and knifes (highly recommended) you can get them for around $15 a pop.
Bebe
Newly Registered

Postby BriCan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:13 pm

ChickenTurtle wrote: since my experience in self employment had taught me two things...If you scrimp, you'll regret it and secondly, if you scrimp, people will notice!

Amen to that brother :D
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies