cutting table

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

cutting table

Postby barry » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:19 am

Hi I need to buy a cutting table large enough to handle a full pig.
Has anyone any ideas were to look. I have tried the usual search engines and can only find blocks for a home kitchen.
barry
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:45 am

Stainless Steel Food Prep Table

Width 63" Depth 271/2" Height 36"

Light Pub Use

Good condition

Buyer to collect from Faversham Kent

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-F ... dZViewItem

Is this the type of thing you are looking for. The bid on this one is �51 at the moment with a day to go.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby barry » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:24 am

Thanks Odley but its something to cut on i need, such as a butcher block or table like that with a thick nylon top
barry
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:16 pm

Assuming you have the space, then go to a catering supply store and buy something made for the job. Otherwise, get a sturdy folding 6-foot table and cover it with some plastic sheeting.
aris
Site Admin

Postby othmar » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:59 am

That table looks very good to me barry.
You can buy a nylon or plastic cutting sheet and mount it on the tabble with a few nuts and bolts.
This way it still is a lot cheaper than to buy a new cutting table. A new stain-less-steel tabble usually runs for $200 to 300 of this size, $50 is a present that only comes along once in a very long time.
If I would be in need of a new tabble I would not one second hessitate to buy the one oddley shows. I need a packing tabble but this one is to small and in England while I am here in Canda the shipping cost would be as much as two brand new tabbles.

Regards

Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:54 am

Barry

If it is a proper wooden butchers block you are after then you are talking a lot of money. They are generally made with end grain steamed beech and just the block alone (3ft X 2ft without the stand) retails at about �400. Some used to be made from hard Maple but the beech is more durable and cost effective giving longer wear.

They were traditionally cleaned at the end of each working day by wiping with water, then throwing a copious amount of salt on. The salt is used to kill bacteria. The block was then scrubbed so that the salt penetrated the end grain and it was then scraped using a heavy steel scraper. This was usually the butchers boy's job, and the butcher normally had 2 or 3 of these that needed cleaning. The block was then turned to await the next days work.

I would go with Oddley and Othmars suggestion and put a bid in for the steel table. At present it is a bargain. I would then purchase a small 'end grain' chopping block to use rather than let your tools dull their edge on the steel. It has to be end grain as it will not splinter when the chopper hits it. If it were 'flat' wood it would splinter and you could end up with wood chippings in the meat and it would also cause premature wear of the block. I myself have made 2 end grain cherry blocks, one of which I use for meat preparation and the other for general household cutting and chopping, one side for vegetables and the other for cooked meat. Mine are only 12" X 15" and are solely to protect my kitchen counter top. You only really need a wood block under the area of the meat you are preparing to preserve the edge of your tools, either moving the carcass or the block to suit.

If you are prepared to pay for the steamed beech block I can give you the link for a butcher suppliers who sell them.
http://www.scobiesdirect.com/ItemInfo.asp?PageNo=1&ItemNo=PABB36247&sMethod=ProdCat&CatName=&ProdCat=50016

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Butcher's blocks

Postby Franco » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:22 am

If anyone wants a traditional buthcher's block try Master Ltd. they are Britains's biggest manufacturer of them. They also sell commercial equipment, freezers, slicers and counters.

They have a catalogue which is pretty basic and probably the worst website I have ever seen. I supply them with the Reber fillers which they then sell on to butchers for �400!!!

http://www.masterlimited.co.uk

If you ring them ask for Alan and if you mention our site he will give you trade prices.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby othmar » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:39 am

Paul Kribs wrote:Barry

They were traditionally cleaned at the end of each working day by wiping with water, then throwing a copious amount of salt on. The salt is used to kill bacteria. The block was then scrubbed so that the salt penetrated the end grain and it was then scraped using a heavy steel scraper. This was usually the butchers boy's job, and the butcher normally had 2 or 3 of these that needed cleaning. The block was then turned to await the next days work.

Ah, the memories this brings up stored in the back of my brain from the days when was trained as a butcher.
My arms where aching, my fingers are burning from the salt and the grip on the wire brush. No rest from there it went on to washing the machienes, tools and walls with a bucket of boiling hot water and a heavy scrubing brush, hard work but character building too.

Regards
Othmar

Othmar
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:46 pm

Othmar

Although my reply was a response to assist Barry, I know exactly how you feel with regard to looking back in time to where you started. I often feel that I should have stuck with it, but due to a disagreement with a manager my 'butchery' was cut short and I joined the railway. I am glad that my description brought back fond memories for you. Look on the bright side, your exercise in scrubbing the blocks tuned your arm for 'cleaver' action. It is good to look back once in a while. Those were the days.

regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby raptorman » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:44 am

Ah yes, And at the end of cold winters day, Working in a village shop, That bucket of hot water and salt would help you find the cuts on your hands from an over eger boneing knife. (memories of a 9 fingered ex butcher) lol
raptorman
Registered Member

Postby barry » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:29 am

Thank you all for your input, the price of the wood blocks are scary so I have decided to go for a stainless table and bolt on sheet of nylon about 10 mm thick.
barry
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:34 am

barry wrote:Thank you all for your input, the price of the wood blocks are scary so I have decided to go for a stainless table and bolt on sheet of nylon about 10 mm thick.

That is exactly what I do and it works for me. I drill a hole in the table top and screw a bolt and nut on the cutting board. The bolt fits in the hole on the table top. This way I can easely remove the cutting board for cleaning.
You need not to cover the entire table top, just the front. A strip of 30 to 40 cm will do the trick and depending at what you cut on it you maybe only need half the length of the table if you want to save money.

Regards
Othmar
othmar
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:37 am

raptorman wrote:Ah yes, And at the end of cold winters day, Working in a village shop, That bucket of hot water and salt would help you find the cuts on your hands from an over eger boneing knife. (memories of a 9 fingered ex butcher) lol

Yes raptorman, salt is the perfect way to find every little pesky cut and make it hurt like a big cut.
But salt is also a good wound cleaner and desinfectant, just so dam painful. :shock: :D :D

Regards
Othmar
othmar
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies