Aldi Knives

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Aldi Knives

Postby onewheeler » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Aldi have these: http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_22763.htm in on Thurs. Has anyone experience of them from previous offers? Any good?

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby ChickenTurtle » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Never bought these exact ones (which doesn't help you much) but if they don't seem any good when you get to see them close up then do what I do.

I visit a Chinese supermarket (in Poole as it happens) whenever I'm down there with work. They sell all sorts of stuff, including knives, and they're dirt cheap for what is basically commercial grade utensils/woks/ladles etc.

Not sure whether there's on near you, but might be worth a Google? :idea:
Silence is Golden, but duct tape works better, and that comes in Silver!
ChickenTurtle
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:28 pm

I don't know about these knives, but I bought their ceramic knives a while back and they are excellent. I keep them exclusively for prepping meat for sausages. An alternative good source for oriental knives is TK Max.

HTH

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby golfermd » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Crazy as it sounds I purchased a set of Viking professional knives. It is without a doubt one of my best investments. Yeah, they were very expensive. But, properly taken care of, they will last me a lifetime. I have zero regrets buying them. :D
Dan

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends..." ELP
golfermd
Registered Member

Postby froginoz » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:27 am

I haven't seen these knives. But I did buy the Aldi ceramic type. They have a black blade and stay very sharp.

I believe Aldi has a 60 day refund policy. Ask them if it covers the knives.
froginoz
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:59 am

I bought their last pair of Solingen damascus stainless steel a couple of years ago(a large santoku and a chopper/cleaver) and I will definitely be visiting Aldi to have a look at these new ones :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:45 pm

They are the same make as before, but be aware they are hand finished, which may be a nice way of saying Quality Control is poor :) as they are finished in quite different ways with regard to how much the carbon steel core is exposed through the layers of stainless damascus. Also the lettering seems to be silk screen printed on rather than etched so I'm not sure how long it will stay in place (not necessarily a bad thing.) I looked at the sashumi knives but they have a 1mm microserration running up 2/3rds of the middle of the blade and I didn't fancy that. The other knives are standard ground. Worth a look I think, but sort through for one you like the look of.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Gill » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:56 am

I bought a couple today (Deba and Damast) and was impressed. A quick honing with a steel and they were soon at work slicing veggies. Although they are lightweight I like their feel; moreover the Deba has an action which saves my knuckles from impacting against the chopping board.

When it comes to heavy duty work I'll turn to my Victorinox cleaver or Sabatier 10" knife, but these little Aldi rascals will definitely see a lot of action in my kitchen.
Gill
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:01 pm

I bought one of the small "Damast" knives yesterday, it's quite nice and took a good edge with a tickle from the diamond steel. I still prefer my little Victorinox paring knives for veg., they've got much thinner blades (and are very cheap!). Time will tell however....

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:42 pm

A little off topic, but here is my favourite knife:

It's home built and the blade is pure tantalum. I can sharpen it much keener than any of my Japanese knives. I have actually been able to cleave iceberg lettuce leaves lengthwise with it (why anyone would want that is another matter... :lol: ).
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies