DIY Smoker Cabinet out of old Refrigerator

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

DIY Smoker Cabinet out of old Refrigerator

Postby JLPicard » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:37 am

I have recently finished modifying an old single-compartment refrigerator into a smoker. I thought I would share how I did it in case anyone would like to do the same. Although I have a couple of decades working with electronics and electricity, this project can be easily completed by just about anyone with half a brain.

The four main components you will need for the electric and control portion are:

1. Digital PID Temperature Controller: These can be found all over the Net. I got mine from EBay for under $28 shipped. You can get them a bit cheaper if you don’t mind waiting for the shipping time. Mine came from an EBAY supplier in the U.S. and I had it in my hands in 5 days. These things are amazing at their versatility. What we are going to do with ours is to monitor the smoker temperatures, and control the power sent to the heating element and can be configured for different preferences, including degrees F or degrees C.

2. Solid State Relay (SSR): These silent little devices are used to provide the power to your heating element. The Controller above can’t handle the amount of current the heating element will require, so the Controller will just be used to turn the SSR on and off when there is a need for heat. Again I got mine from EBay. They can be used to control any line voltages from 24 – 380 VAC.

3. Thermocouple Probe: This is the sensor that will be installed into the wall of your smoker to monitor the inside temperature. Wikipedia says: “A thermocouple is a device consisting of two different conductors (usually metal alloys) that produce a voltage proportional to a temperature difference between either end of the pair of conductors.” Thermocouples are nothing more than two dissimilar metals that are fused at a point (this ‘point’ is at the tip of the probe). When certain fused metals are subjected to temperatures, they act like little batteries and supply a corresponding voltage. This image is a Type-K Thermocouple. This type of thermocouple is made up of Alumel and Chromel metals, and is one of the most common, inexpensive, general purpose thermocouples. How they act with certain temperature changes are predictable and are easily monitored to measure temperature. The Digital PID Controller above can use many types of thermocouples, and some PID’s come with a thermocouple.

4. Heating Element: I purchased a standard hot plate from Amazon. I had to void the warranty, and you will too if you use this type. You will have to disable the on/off knob. You will have no need for using it since the PID will be doing all the work for you. Open up the case and find the wires going to the on/off knob and short them together. I just put an electrical wire nut on them. I also cut off the power plug and stripped the wires bare so I could hook it up to my SSR.
I found this hot plate was way too hot for my insulated refrigerator, so once I had it installed and was testing my setup, I had to rethink the element. I found it was not having to heat up very much at all to maintain lower temperatures in the 120 degree F range, which isn’t good if you expect it to also supply your smudge. I then decided to use a heating element out of a salvaged George Foreman grill I had. It worked perfectly.

Hooking up your circuit is pretty easy. Here is a nice diagram I found on a Smoker website, note that I am using US power 120 VAC:

This guy is using a Terminal Strip to facilitate his wiring. I chose not to include one on my setup instead wiring directly to the SSR and the PID. Here’s what’s going on in this circuit:
The PID is receiving it’s power to turn on via pins 9 and 10. The TC (Thermocouple) is sending a voltage to the PID that corresponds to the temperature it is sensing on pins 4 and 5. Depending on what is programmed into the PID, if it senses the temperature is too low, it will send a signal via pins 7 and 8 to the SSR telling it to close its contacts. The SSR now will pass Line Power on to the Smoker heating element (labeled Power Cord female end), turning it on. With the heating element of your Smoker now getting hot, the temperature will be rising inside and the Thermocouple with it. When the PID senses that the Thermocouple has reached the set temperature, it will turn off the SSR. That’s basically how the operation works. The PID will actually modulate the turning off and on, you will see the light blink on the PID as it does this. It can take about a half hour or so to level out, but once it does it does a good job of maintaining your set temperature.
I built a little wooden box that I mounted my PID and my SSR in. I drilled a hole in the side of my refrigerator smoker to accommodate the thermocouple probe.
I cut a 4” hole in the top of the refrigerator and plumbed it to the outside of my cellar, and cut another 4” hole in the door for intake air, also plumbing that to the outside. My smoker is inside my cellar for convenience. It gets damn cold here at times in the winter, no traipsing outside to check on things for me!
I cut a couple oak mounts and oak rods for my sausages and bolted them to the inside top of the fridge.

This diagram may not correspond exactly to your PID and SSR, so make sure you follow the diagrams included with your controller.

With the George Foreman heating element, I can set my cabinet for 120 degrees F and still get enough heat out of it to provide a nice smudge to my sausages. Programming the PID is a bit confusing, at least mine was. The instructions that came with my PID were in English, but in many places they were a poor translation, but I did figure it out. There is also the ability to wire up an alarm on these, which I haven't used.
Last edited by JLPicard on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLPicard
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:57 am

:shock: Wow!
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:48 pm

Great Job.
I toyed with doing this - it's the same set-up as the thermostat and hygrostats I use for my fridge. However, I was concerned about how the components from the 'free-standing' hotplate would react in an enclosed smoker (the plastic bits etc). Did you not have any problem with them melting?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby JLPicard » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:19 pm

I did not. The hotplate I found to be too much for the well insulated enclosed space, so it didn't give it a true workout. It could be a problem though. If that was the case I would probably engineer something with nothing but the heating coil, and discarding any plastic pieces. The hotplate I purchased and was going to use had a metal top (under the coil), and the bottom shell was a very sturdy phenolic resin type of enclosure, probably heat resistant. The first fridge smoker I built back in the 90's I gutted the entire insides, insulation and all. It was just a metal shell when I was done with it. The free standing hotplate I used then had no such issues with melting.

The salvaged George Foreman hotplate is all metal. It is welded to the back of an aluminum plate. I installed two long metal screws as legs for it to stand on. The first firing of this smokehouse worked fine, but the wire I chose for the hotplate hookup got a bit soft, so I will be changing that. I think I am going to reroute the power for the hotplate up thru the bottom so there is minimal exposure to the smoke chamber. I also plan on using the salvaged wire I got from the same George Foreman, it is insulated with a high temperature type material, probably fiberglass.

I will put up a photo of the salvaged heating element I am using later on today.
JLPicard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Many thanks, I'm really interested as I'd like to convert mine from gas to electric.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby SausageBoy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Excellent tutorial!

I've noticed that some use a heat sink on the SSR?

8)
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby JLPicard » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:58 pm

SausageBoy wrote:Excellent tutorial!

I've noticed that some use a heat sink on the SSR?

8)
I saw that too. When I made the box I put these controls in, I attached a metal strip along the open side that was towards the fridge itself, I attached my SSR to that metal strip, which in turn was touching the fridge. I planned for that to be my heat-sink, time will tell.
JLPicard
Registered Member

Postby antileno » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:37 am

I am very interested in building my own smoker as well thanks for posting this I may have to change up my design now. Does your controller have a timer and a shutoff? I was originally going to use a modulating gas valve from an old gas oven to control temperature and just connect it to a single burner but now i'm concerned i will achieve my temperature too fast like you did with the hotplate and not get a great smudge. As far as fridges go I have read that some have toxic insulation and should not be used, what should i be looking for when selecting a fridge?

Thanks for any help its appreciated!
antileno
Newly Registered

Postby JLPicard » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:44 am

antileno wrote:I am very interested in building my own smoker as well thanks for posting this I may have to change up my design now. Does your controller have a timer and a shutoff? I was originally going to use a modulating gas valve from an old gas oven to control temperature and just connect it to a single burner but now i'm concerned i will achieve my temperature too fast like you did with the hotplate and not get a great smudge. As far as fridges go I have read that some have toxic insulation and should not be used, what should i be looking for when selecting a fridge?

Thanks for any help its appreciated!
No timer or shutoff on the controller, solely controlled by temperature. I have a seperate stand alone timer that I use just to keep track of run times. Not sure about toxins, my fridge is from the 1940's, its enameled steel inside with fiberglass insulation, no asbestos. I don't know what to recommend as far as a fridge goes, I just wanted a single compartment with no plastic inside. I suggest keeping an eye out on Craigslist the free section. That's how I found mine. Or use SearchTempest to search by certain phrases. Good Luck.
JLPicard
Registered Member

Postby Titch » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:01 am

Question for JLPicard

How easy are those controllers to set up/program.
Cheers.
Titch
Marriage is a life sentence.
Titch
Registered Member

Postby JLPicard » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Sorry took so long to see your question. The PID is easy for me, but all I use it for is to control my temperature in the smoke house.

Press the most left hand (blue) button once, then twice.
Press the button next to it to advance to the digit you need to change, tenths, ones, tens, hundreds.
Press the UP or DOWN arrows to change your temperature.

That's it.

The PID has a lot of other features you could mess with, but I didn't even study it enough to figure out what they were about, I didnt' need them.

I also have various heating elements that I scrounged out of old appliances I salvaged that I can interchange into my smokehouse. I did a smoked pulled pork butt in there couple weeks ago and I wanted to not only smoke it, but also cook it at the end, sorta using my fridge smokehouse as an oven. My small George Foreman coil wasn't up to the task, so I wired spade plugs into the set up so now I have three different coils I can hook up depending on how much heat I will need to generate in there.
JLPicard
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies