Call out to Aussie members

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Call out to Aussie members

Postby Ces » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:16 am

hey guys,

i'm new to the forum and sausage making but am pumped by the results i've had so far.
looking to get into fermented sausage making but i'm having a problem finding the components for controlling and maintaining humidity levels for a cure room on a budget...

i'm wondering if any Australian members have info about were to purchase humidifiers/hygrometers/humidity controllers in Aus, that won't cost me over $200? (they don't need to be an integrated unit).

or if you have other solutions that work for you, i'd like to hear thoses too. (like most with climate issues, i'm planning on using an old fridge for a cure room).

appreciate any help.
Ces
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:29 pm

Hi Ces & welcome!

I'm located in Sydney as well.

I haven't ventured into cured sausages (yet) simply because of the same reasons you have - no curing chamber!

The $200 issue is the problem. There was a temp & humidity controller unit on eBay in the UK that nearly pried my wallet open... but in the end I decided not to take the plunge... but it was over your $200 limit on it's own.

for humidity - a cheap humidifier off eBay should work well (many people use them here).

anyways - sorry I can't be of more help.. but I am definitely interested in anything you find out!
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby Ces » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:08 am

hey mate,

i'm a member of a brewing forum here in aus and asked the same question in one of the threads i found there (posted by paul mercurio funnily enough)... one of the guys on there who wired his own electrical brew rig had purchased a wire in humidity controller that you can find on ebay.com.au for around $30 (sorry haven't worked out the links yet, just search 'humidity controller) and hooked it up himself.

this might be an option if you know a sparky or one who'll do it cheap. maybe you an do it yourself... that'd be great.

i'm going to ask a mate of mine who's a third year apprentice if he's confident enough to wire it up for me. otherwise i'll get it quoted.

hope that helps
Ces
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:27 pm

subscribed
found a humidity controller on ebay for $40 odd dollars
Seems Like a digital read out that needs wiring
Im assuming it measures the temp/humidity of the fridge
Is this all thats needed or does there have to be a water/humidity source?
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:14 am

Hi Ces,
I know that at The Sausagemaker.inc, Buffalo. they have a tutorial re making a curing chamber. I can't find it on their site at the moment but I have a printed copy of it. If you need it, just email me.
Furthermore, on some other sausage sites, members have built their own curing chambers with specs and pictures.
First of all, email the Sausagemaker for help.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby littlejoenc » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:55 am

You Can't Kill A Man Born To Hang
littlejoenc
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:38 am

how are you going to control temp?

with a separate temp controller?

the one I was looking at was a two in one thing - temp AND humidity.
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby Ces » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Mitchamus,
i've been brewing for awhile now and temp control is far more precise in brewing than curing meat (no less important). As a result i have multiple fridges than have external temp controllers (plug in) thay will take my fridge/freezers to -1 right up to 25 degrees celsius (the latter in the colder months obviously). Check out home brew supply stores for units.
Visit aussiehomebrewer.com and check out what's available from site sponsers (no affiliaton etc).

Craft brewer is best for brewing supplies but they dont have temp cont. up on their site. However i usually just ring and they have many things you may need that are just not listed on the web.

What was the unit you were looking at?
Ces
Registered Member

Postby Ces » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:38 pm

By 'thay' i mean- 'they'. And by 'colder months' i mean 'hotter months'.
Ces
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi Ces,
I'm an Aussie expat in land locked colorado at the moment. I have been experimenting with aging/curing cabinets also. If you see something on sausagemaker.com or buthcherpacker.com or ebay usa etc and want to relay through me thats cool.
I've done it a bunch of time for mates back home..(golf clubs, camera equipment etc). With the aussie $ be strong it could work out for ya.

Let me know.
Dingo
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies