Humidifier for fridge curing chamber

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Humidifier for fridge curing chamber

Postby ped » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi all

Will initially use the bowl of water and salt method for humidifying but could you give me some recommendations for which humidifier I should look to purchase for my fridge curing chamber?

Many thanks

Ped
ped
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:43 pm

I use an ultrasonic humidifier with *only* distilled water.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:48 pm

I too use a cool mist ultrasonic one.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby chilehed » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:27 pm

I've got a couple of small filter humidifiers at the office. Why shouldn't I use one of those - contamination doe to bacteria growing on the filter?
chilehed
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Who says that you shouldn't use them?
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby chilehed » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:42 pm

Maybe no one, but my newcomer's observation is that the usual recommendation is an ultrasonic. I'm wondering why, given that filter units are simpler and don't really care about the mineral content of the water; eventually the filter gets stiff but they're cheap to replace.

The only things I can think of are bacterial growth and high airspeed coming out of the fan.
chilehed
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:54 pm

The main reason cool mist ultrasonics are used is that they don't generate heat/steam to humidify. Warm mist humidifiers generate steam to humidify.

That said, my cool mist ultrasonic has a filter option too, so I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a filter humidifier.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:57 pm

I'm not sure what a 'filter unit' one is. The only type that I believe won't work is the ones that use the 'Peltier effect'. They appear only to operate above 15°C (59°F).
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby chilehed » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:55 pm

It's just a paper filter through which a fan draws air. The filter sits in a shallow bit of water, and is thus kept moist. They're quite common where I live.
chilehed
Registered Member

Postby tommix » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:01 pm

The humidifier I have has a "humidifier pad", water drips down over the pad saturating it and then a fan blows air through it creating humid, moist air. I would think that is what he meant. And, yes, after a while those pads do need to be replaced because they can harbor bacteria, whatever.
tommix
Registered Member

Postby chix-boy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:48 pm

salumi512 wrote:The main reason cool mist ultrasonics are used is that they don't generate heat/steam to humidify. Warm mist humidifiers generate steam to humidify.

That was my first mistake when I built my chamber, totaly amazing how much heat those produce in a small area. Went to Crain cool mist sweet!
You know there might, I say there just might be a market for bottled duck
chix-boy
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:14 pm

One guy's opinion.....

The cool mist units use mechanical energy to 'evaporate' the water so it doesn't add or subtract significant temperature from the air stream.

The wet blanket type units rely on evaporation to generate humidity. that energy comes from the air stream so the temperature of the air stream drops accordingly.

The heater-type humidifiers use heat to evaporate the water so heat ends up being added to the air stream.

Depending on your humidification load, these options can move your space temperature around quite a bit. The ultrasonic (cool mist) units would have the least impact on your temperature but make sure you use very pure water because, unlike the other units which leave all the crud behind, the cool mist units throw everything in the water into the air and onto your beautiful meat products.
Banjoe
Registered Member

Postby mauro » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:59 pm

hi
i have a cool mist fan type and it works great. i bought it a few years ago and it had relative humidity control all the way up to 95% RH in 5% steps.. i also measure humidity with a separate temperature/RH meter in my cold room. what i have noticed is that a lot of the newer ones with a humidistat no longer go above 55% RH which is a problem. if you can find one that controls up to high humidity you need then go for it.

Mauro
mauro
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies