help pick a manual grinder

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

help pick a manual grinder

Postby ducksoup » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:24 am

I'm looking for a manual grinder in either a #12 or a #22. I'm only doing small batches right now, (maybe 15# or 20# max at a time). Don't want to spend a bunch but I'm hopeing i can get something decent for around $50 to $75. Everything I've read says to get one with 3 disks, fine, medium and course grinds. Nothing I've seen comes with more than 2 and most only come with one. Looked at the ones at Cabela's but reviews were horrible! Our local sporting goods super stores only carry a few and they all had just a single medium grind disk only. any help of suggestions would be appreciated.
ducksoup
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:32 am

"You get what you pay for" certainly applies when buying a manual grinder.
I wouldn't consider one of the tinned Chinese models. Most are junk.
Stainless is the way to go, and preferably stainless from a place with high quality standards like the SausageMaker.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/manualmeatgrinders.aspx

Tre-Spade (Made in Italy) is also pretty good.
About a 1/4 way down this page.......
http://fantes.com/grinders.html
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:47 pm

I would opt for the #12 electric grinder (0.5 hp) from Northern tool for $99. If you look around you can get a $20 off cupon and it would only cost you 79. I bought one for my winter home and was very pleased I bought another for my daughter she wants to get into sausage making, I also picked up two 5# vertical stuffers for 79 each. They work great for small batches.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies