Japanese knives.

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Japanese knives.

Postby JollyJohn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:32 am

Hi All.

As well as being a sausage maker, I am also a keen woodworker. One of the companies I deal with, supply Japanese saws, and chisels, they now offer a terrific range of cooking knives:
https://www.rutlands.co.uk/knives/kitchen-knives

I'm a Henkels man myself, but thought some of you may be interested.

Cheers, John.
JollyJohn
Registered Member

Postby JollyJohn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:19 pm

Just had a closer look at some of them, lovely knives.......but 'kin PRICEY!! £365.00 for a general purpose knife!!!
JollyJohn
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:25 pm

You'd be a lot better looking at sausagemaking.org site owner's shop:

http://www.knives.co.uk/

Great knives from Porsche, Haiku, Henkels, Global ... take your pick. You'd also be supporting the guy that provides us with this great forum.

Phil :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby JollyJohn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Absolutely Phil. I won't be buying any. The email came with other, woodworking tool offers, it was just the sheer variety that caught my eye, they're almost things of beauty. I wasn't trying to promote the company.

If I were in the market for Japanese knives, I'd go to Franco, good knives (I've read you're review) at highly competitive prices.

John.
JollyJohn
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:07 pm

You know, if I didn't have the knives I already have - mainly Henckels, I think I'd go for the good old fashioned carbon steel 'proper' Sabatiers. They may not be 'the in thing' but they take some beating.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby HKDave » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:49 am

A very good source for Japanese chef's knives is, unsurprisingly, in Japan: http://japanesechefsknife.com/
Koki, the guy who runs it, is knowledgeable and friendly, and they have a huge range of knives. I've bought from them a couple of times. They ship just about anywhere on Earth for US$7 per order - no matter how many knives you order.

That said, my 'work' knives are still mostly Victorinox... can't beat them for value.
HKDave
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Try having a look in HomeSense/T.K.Max. They sell 'seconds' of some good leading brands. The last 2 x knives I picked up were a Henckels Twin Master ice-hardened 12" ham/salmon slicer and a 5" boning knife, both with yellow moulded handles. prices were £7.99 and £6.99 respectively. I have also had in the past the riveted wooden handle 8" cooks knife for around £13.00, so you don't have to break the bank to pick up a decent knife.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Are they still selling them? I heard they'd stopped after a stabbing. Maybe that's just another urban myth though?

At those prices, I hope they are.

Phil :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:09 pm

hi Phil, last time I was in a TK Max shop, they still had knives in there - just not the ones I wanted. Must admit though, the selection had gone down quite a bit - maybe something in what you say, although they probably can only stock what they can get hold of rather than a constant supply. The last 2 knives I bought were in Kendal in the lakes aound September time. Can't fault them for the price.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:18 pm

Just found this re TK Maxx - might be what you had heard. Its in relation to a swiss coat that had an army knife attached to the inside.

The firm, which has 180 UK branches, cleared knife jackets from its shelves after being contacted by the Sun.
It said: "T.K. Maxx supports and enforces all laws with regard to the sale of knives. We became aware that a branded coat on sale included a pocket penknife as a promotional gift.
"We removed the items swiftly from the supply chain. All store teams have been alerted to this and as a matter of urgent priority have removed all related items from shops."
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks for that, I've bought a number of knives from TKMaxx.
Last edited by saucisson on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:26 pm

yotmon

Many thanks - I'll get the kids to look next time they're in there.

Phil :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Deba

Postby scolobey » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:50 am

I forgot my chef's knife one day and I had to cut up 50 pounds of pork shoulder for sausage. I ended up having to use my deba. A deba is a broad, heavy Japanese knife intended for butchering fish. The deba tore it up. It's now my goto knife for large cuts of meat. I can reduce a 5# shoulder to neat, even strips, perfect for grinding, in less than 30 seconds with that sucker. The more I use Japanese knives, the more I love them. They need a little more care and love, but they give it back tenfold
Ryan Goodwin
@embittered
<a href="http://www.everybodyplayswithfood.com">www.everybodyplayswithfood.com</a>
scolobey
Registered Member

Postby larry » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:20 pm

I never realized that asian knives have a different sharpening angle than US/European knives. Asian knives are usually sharpened at an angle of 19 degrees instead of 21 degrees. I have found that asian knives (I have Taiwanese Kiwi brand) seem better at cutting very thin slices off cured meats, possibly because of the angle and the thinness of the blade.
larry
Registered Member

Re: Japanese knives.

Postby yotmon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Was in my local TK. Maxx yesterday and they had the following Zwilling J.A Henkel Ice hardened Knives for sale, they were labeled as 'seconds' so didn't have the life time guarantee. Maybe stocked nationally so might be worth a look.

Motion - 8" Bread Knife, £12.99 (rrp £53.00), 8" Chef knife £14.99 (rrp £60), 7" Santoku £16.99 (rrp £65.00)
6" Slicing knife, £7.99 (rrp £25.00), 3" veg knife £7.99 (rrp £25).

Good knives for the price and saves breaking the bank in these hard times of austerity.

yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies