smelly casings

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

smelly casings

Postby Pippa » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:15 pm

I recently recieved an order of hog casings. This is my first venture into sausage making and I was surprised to find that they were in hand tied plastic bags, not in the ziplock bags advertised. The smell when I opened the parcel was very strong indeed. I am used to handling hung game so I am not particularly sensitive to strong smells.

I telephoned the supplier and was informed that the smell was normal and that it was normal for the casings to be sent unfrozen and in hand knotted plastic bags. The receptionist said that the casings would have been posted the previous day and therefore would only have been unrefrigerated for 24 hours at most.

To someone who never leaves meat products out of the fridge for more than one hour, that was quite a worry

My question is - is this ok and normal practice. Or should my casings have been delivered vacuum packed or chilled/frozen. Are they safe to use?

Regards
Pippa
Pippa
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:00 pm

Pippa

Do not worry about the casings, that is how they come and that is how they smell. Do not freeze them. If you try sheeps casings later on you will find that they smell more and have a different smell as well. Just use what you have to and just re-tie the salt bag and store them in the fridge, they last for many months.
When you use them, pre-soak them for at least one hour preferably two. Just prior to using them flush them through with fresh water, this will assist them in flowing off the nozzle as you stuff your sausages.

regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:50 am

Hi Pippa,

Paul already addressed the problem.
In addition to this Here is my five cents.
Natural casings,especially hog casings, are always hand bound and tied and come mostly from China.
All natural sausage casings are stored in huge vats and very well salted. That way they will not rot or go "off" even if they are out of the cool for several days, unless in direct sunlight.
The smell is quit natural, they all smell "bad" and yes it can be frighteing for a novice.
Again do not worry and proceed as Paul has adviced.
The best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy this great hobby.

Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:18 am

The casings you got were most probably preserved in salt - thus would not go off - similar to how other meats are preserved without the need for refrigeration.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Franco » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:24 am

othmar wrote:Natural casings,especially hog casings, are always hand bound and tied and come mostly from China.

Our casings are from the UK!

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:29 pm

Franco wrote:
othmar wrote:Natural casings,especially hog casings, are always hand bound and tied and come mostly from China.

Our casings are from the UK!

Franco

Franco are you sure about this as Dat Schaub is a company owned by Danish Crown & as such there casings are Danish.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:20 pm

Pippa

I omitted to mention, took it for granted, that you initially wash the casings to remove the salt. It also makes the casings more manipulative (for untangling purposes). I generally flush the casings before soaking, and flush once again just prior to threading the nozzle. When you do this, the smell you have described will dissappear. The smell has no relevance to the taste of the finished product. You will find a better "bite" to the cooked sausage, you'll find out what I mean.
Funny how you do things so many times but omit the basics that you take for granted.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:20 pm

I don't use Dat Schaub anymore, I need to change the pic.

I source all my hog and sheep casings from Wigan (only 10 miles from me) I order 200 hanks of hog every week :shock: My beef casings are imported as British ones are still SRM.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

smelly

Postby Pippa » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:03 pm

Thank you all very much for your replies. I feel much happier about using the casings now.

Pippa
Pippa
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies