Help With Mincer Purchase

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Help With Mincer Purchase

Postby Rotund » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:20 pm

I have been interested in sausage making for some time and have decided to take the plunge.

I can't decide between buying the FW2684 or spending a bit more to get the Reber 9500. I am not going to be producing a great deal, just enough for the family.

Is it worth spending more to get the 9500? Does anyone know how it performs as a sausage stuffer?
Rotund
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:57 pm

Welcome to the forum Rotund

I use the FW2684 quite extensively. I have no real complaints about it. When I use it I normally put 20 - 30 lbs of meat through it. It moans a bit sometimes but has done the job OK so far. I can't say anything about the Reber as I do not own one, but will say that if the FW2684 ever packs up then I will definitely go for the Reber 9500.

I currently own 2 Reber products and am very pleased with both, and must assume the mincer would be of similar quality.

I started off making sausages just for me and the wife, but when people learn of your new hobby they will be after some believe me.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:01 pm

Welcome to the forum Rotund.

I have the reber pro, I must say it is a good mincer. I don't think the 9500 is supplied with stuffing attachments, so it can't be used as a stuffer. Also I can't really advise you on the 9500 because the pro has a much bigger motor.

What I can say is if you are not 100% sure you are going to keep up the hobby, start small. Buy more expensive equipment as you need it.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby pawclaws » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:37 pm

I use a Moulinax combination mincer, juicer, grinder, grater, slicer, stuffer that my StepMother owned since the mid 60s. I recently lost the cutter and one of the screens and thought I'd never find a replacement so bought a new mincer/stuffer of heavier duty and greater expense. Found replacement parts in France and now have 2 great appliances!! I'll toss them when they are completely worn out; not before!! :D (Wish I could say the same for the wives!) :shock: Anyway, like previously mentioned "start small". Extra gear is always appreciated in the long run! :D
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
Instructor of Cooks and QM, Mosby's Raiders
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:17 pm

I have a FW2684, and it does the job well, the only problem is no spares that I know of, no different mincing blades and only 1 size stuff tube for hog casings, hence I have a seperate reber stuffer. In hindsite the better mincers will also stuff with 2 tubes available, and with a variety of sized plates, probably works out the same sort of price but only 1 lot of washing up and the end with a mincer/stuffer.
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby pawclaws » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:16 pm

The better mincer I just purchased is a DAC with 3 sizes of cutting plates and 2 sizes of stuffing tubes. It was a little less than $80.00 dollars US. The replacement cutting blade and plate for the Moulinax cost about $20.00 US including postage. I have been looking at the slicer Franco has listed here and it is calling my name! :D
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
Instructor of Cooks and QM, Mosby's Raiders
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Postby Rotund » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:21 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

In the end I opted for the Reber 9500 and have not been disappointed.

Its performance as a mincer is excellent, and as a sausage stuffer it's not at all bad.

Paul, you were right about the demand for my homemade sausages going up. Every month when I make some I get more and more people asking!
Rotund
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:43 pm

Rotund

You have picked the right time of year to start, just you wait till the weather starts to warm next year and peoples minds get into the BBQ frame.. it all gets a little bit frantic, especially if you branch into making proper burgers as well.. Best of luck with it :wink:

regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies