knifes!

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Postby Damo the butcherman » Sat May 26, 2012 7:46 am

G'day,
In my opinion the best two brands of knifes are Victorinox and Gieser, most butchers I know use these two brands, personally I would aviod knives that are too flexible as I they can slip off the bone too easily. As for diamond steels I'm not a big lover of them I find them to be very rough on the knives, personally I favor a stone and a smooth steel to keep knives nice and sharp.
Damo :lol:
Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi Oi Oi
Damo the butcherman
Registered Member

Postby homer » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:45 am

got a henkels santkotu knife also at makro at a good price..sharpest knife I have used so far even managed so slice my thumb open putting it back in the box..and i was carefull :oops:
cutting wafer thin veg without even trying :D

BTW in case you didnt know..ive noticed the food has got better in makro the last few weeks and also much bigger fresh fish selection :shock:
found out the reason...they have been bought out by "bookers" after losing money the last few years (prob due to selling crap meat!)
they also have problems with pricing fish :D WILD fresh turbot at £14 a kilo :wink:
Other half moaned on about me finding new hobbies ..found this site..now she's sorry!!
homer
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:55 pm

I bought a set of Wusthof Trident Classic knives after I lost a bit of capability in my right hand, following a stroke. They are well balanced and each is a useful weight for the task it is intended to perform - the salmon slicer is light and has a very flexible blade whilst the large cooks' knife has a heavy rigid blade and is great for cracking lobster claws.

The best thing is that they have good, large handles so that my hand can get a good grip and this helps overcome the reduction in control and power that I now experience.

They were not cheap but definitely worth the money.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby Salzburg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:29 pm

After many years of daily use, I can testify to the quality of these brands:
Giesser
Swibo
Dexter (carbon steel)
Caribou

Use a fine-textured steel such as F. Dick...this will save much wear and tear on your knives...and you will go much longer between sharpenings. I have known butchers with many years experience who still don't understand this concept...they wear down knives that should last five years in only one year.

I can no longer recommend Victorinox...they have definitely lost something in quality.
Salzburg
Registered Member

knives

Postby dorsets21 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:33 pm

i have a full chefs set in a suitcase of wusthof knives good talk about well made mum pay 1200 quid 20 years ago still good as new got to love german craftmanship 8)
ask the question? where does my food come from
dorsets21
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies