knifes!

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

knifes!

Postby homer » Tue May 15, 2012 6:03 pm

what knifes do you use and why do you think they are good?
I am looking to buy maybe 3 knifes as i feel i only really use 3 at the moment anyway so buying an expensive complete set would be a huge waste of pork buying tokens plus i have a nice wooden block already
I am also looking to get a diamond sharpening steel
was thinking along the lines of a chef's knife, santoku knife and a flexible boning knife, have a drawer full of other knifes that sharpen up ok but only use them on the odd occasion
budget wise maybe £150-180 with the sharpener?
looked into henkels but seems unless you buy the pro or the other top of the range they are made in Spain so not the same quality, would like forged rather than stamped also
any suggestions :oops:
Other half moaned on about me finding new hobbies ..found this site..now she's sorry!!
homer
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Tue May 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi, I would forget the diamond steel, they remove a lot of metal whilst sharpening, the purpose of a steel is to realign the cutting edge of the blade, I use a very fine steel over 40 years old which is now basically a hard smooth piece of steel to "steel" my knives, to put a edge back I use a stone.

For butchery & general prep I use Swibo, have used Global but their customer service is poor.

I have a range of knives, butchers,filleting,boning,ham/salmon slicer,chinese cleaver etc,the only small knife I like is a turning knife, I do not have a cleaver but am looking at boot sales for a large old one, more for kitchen decoration as I tend to use knives and saw.

I am no expert but believe in the right knife for the right purpose to a degree and when money allows.

Regards Gazza.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Tue May 15, 2012 7:59 pm

I use an assortment picked up second hand and new. I'm a fan of Frost and Mora knives -- the type of knives that can be picked up at commercial fishing stores. They're cheap and take an edge; if you use them with a ceramic rod hone they are like zippers. Made gutting salmon way easier.

Otherwise, I use a Rapala fillet knife for fine work/work that doesn't involve pressure.

I guess then I like knives made by Scandinavian companies.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Tue May 15, 2012 8:20 pm

Rapala fillet knife, fantastic especially in the field!!

Regards Gazza.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Tue May 15, 2012 8:31 pm

may be of interest to Dogfish:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb7D0

Guess what make the knife is?

Regards Gazza.

PS this technique works on Mackerel really well!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Tue May 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Good to know; that's a really cool video. Those Rapala knives are everywhere!

I'd like to catch mackerel at some point. When they're around in B.C. the limit is 100 per person per day.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue May 15, 2012 10:35 pm

I'm about to embark on a hunt at country flea markets for old steaking (butcher) and boning knives, and maybe some breaking knives shorter than the antique I've got. I'll rehabilitate them and use those.

I have a nice Wusthof set that is no longer made, and use those in the kitchen, but for harder work with meat, I'll use heavier blades made specifically for that kind of work.

Definitely avoid the diamond hone/steel. I agree with others - they take off way too much material. I only have one diamond stone, and it is coarse for removing material to start rehab on an abused blade. Everything else is either stone or ceramic.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby mitchamus » Tue May 15, 2012 10:52 pm

I have a full set of Tramontina Butcher knives. (professional Master series)

http://www.tramontina.com.au/knives/professional-knives/professional-master.html

They are industrial knives, with an antibacterial handle ('microban")

They are much cheaper than other brands (Fdick, Victorinox etc)

But the quality is more than up to the task for the occasional butcher.

Their skinning knife is also very good.

The only thing in that range which isn't that great is their cleaver - only because it's a bit too small IMHO.
I think a heavier cleaver is better - just my preference
Australia - Where the Beef sausage is King.
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Wed May 16, 2012 2:27 pm

I use Forschner knives adn have for years. Granted, I use the hell out of them and the constant steeling burns a knife down to an icepick in 3 or 4 years, but for everything from carcass breaking to fine boning, I use a 14" cimeter breaking knife for primal breaking, , 10" cimeter breaking knife & a 6" semi-stiff boning for detail work. My steel is a flat steel I got as a gift years ago, it's about 1/5" wide, but less then 1/4" thick, for a rough feather on the edges and a fine straightening on the wide curve. It works like a champ. I can't stand a sheep's foot or Granton blade for some reason, just what I was trained on, I suppose. Home knives are a whole different ballgame, of course.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby homer » Wed May 16, 2012 2:42 pm

picked up a few today on an impulse buy :oops:
didnt break the bank and left money over for the purchase of fresh brown shrimp..in bulk :lol:
got v series sabatier x50 crmov 15 which are supposed to have a high carbon content at 55 rockwell
got a paring , all purpose, 15cm cooks knife and a boning knife for a tad under £50, so can still pick up a couple more bigger ones and be in budget
30 year warranty too
now to find something to chop up :D liver and onions tonight so that will be a good test :roll:
Other half moaned on about me finding new hobbies ..found this site..now she's sorry!!
homer
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Wed May 16, 2012 2:44 pm

30 year warranty? I need to buy those, I'd be in free knives for life :D
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby Dave Smith » Wed May 16, 2012 9:49 pm

I like these, but Mrs won't let me http://www.knives.co.uk/acatalog/I.O._Shen.html
I do need to get out more, but they don't have enough carers to supervise.
Dave Smith
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed May 16, 2012 11:03 pm

These are also fantastic:

http://www.knives.co.uk/acatalog/Online ... e_265.html

...as are these:

http://www.knives.co.uk/acatalog/Online ... l_289.html

I've reviewed both and they're superb.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby salumi512 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:04 am

This is my chef's knife that no one gets to touch except me. It's a MAC Ultimate:

http://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=2904

This is my chicken dispatcher. Very sturdy and goes through chicken bones like butter. Also a MAC Ultimate:

http://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=2706

For butchering I use Dexter, Victoronix so I can bleach them frequently.

For sticking a pig in the heart while hunting with dogs in the Texas brush, I use a SOG Tsunami:

salumi512
Registered Member

Postby homer » Fri May 25, 2012 8:56 pm

For sticking a pig in the heart while hunting with dogs in the Texas brush, I use a SOG Tsunami:

too much information :D

just in case anyone is after a less outlay knife..such as the ones i got..there now on offer :roll: next week in makro with 35% off :roll: ..yes thats the ones i got last week from makro :roll:
still i will pop along and get a few more to complete the set :D
homer
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies