stainless steel equipment

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

stainless steel equipment

Postby Swede » Thu May 24, 2012 2:37 am

My start......

Looking to process a half hog on this table, got a proper cleaver, steel, steak knife, and a boning/filet............

I have a manual #10 grinder and a 5lb? stuffer
Swede
Registered Member

Postby Swede » Thu May 24, 2012 2:40 am

I am looking to process a half hog at a time, and want to smoke/cure sausage and bacon for my family.
Swede
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Thu May 24, 2012 4:33 am

Shiny!
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby mitchamus » Fri May 25, 2012 1:11 am

I wish I had a table like that....
Australia - Where the Beef sausage is King.
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Sat May 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Looks like a pretty good setup for a home butcher. One thing I'd recommend is a (preferably a high-density plastic) cutting board to cover the entire top surface of the table to protect your knives.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Sun May 27, 2012 1:47 am

Great sausage preparation pr0n
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

RE stainless steel equip

Postby Swede » Wed May 30, 2012 12:59 am

Thanks guys. I've still gotta get a smoke shack put together. Still bouncing between a full blown wooden shack or a fridge smoker. Both with a temp controlled hotplate or element and cold smoke generator too.

I'm wondering if I could cold smoke on a hotplate/cast iron chip pan directly in the bottom of a setup like that without going to a remote type CSG?

Either way I'd like the electric hot smoke/slow cook option.
Swede
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed May 30, 2012 9:00 am

A hot plate can be a bit too powerful in a small space so if you want to cold smoke with one you probably need to go down the shack route. In a fridge you may be better off going down the soldering iron in a tin can route.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:27 am

I sure wish that i could find a nice affordable stainless steel table.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:50 am

Your best bet is to find a small fabrication shop and have one made to order. You don't necessarily have to do the entire structure in SS, you can do the frame is structural steel, then have the top surface as stainless. We do this all the time now, as its just too expensive to do the structural parts in stainless, unless its a requirement.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Re: RE stainless steel equip

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:05 am

Swede wrote:Thanks guys. I've still gotta get a smoke shack put together. Still bouncing between a full blown wooden shack or a fridge smoker. Both with a temp controlled hotplate or element and cold smoke generator too.

I'm wondering if I could cold smoke on a hotplate/cast iron chip pan directly in the bottom of a setup like that without going to a remote type CSG?

Either way I'd like the electric hot smoke/slow cook option.

I just got an AmazeNSmoker that works great. However, prior to that I used a #10 metal can (very large), poked 3-4 holes in the bottom, a hole an inch up and every inch interval around the side of it. Heat 2-3 charcoal pieces to glowing, place in can. This is usually not enough to really generate much heat at all. Add wood chips of your choice over top of the coals (I use half dry and half soaked) and use a small cast iron pan for a damper. Add more chips as needed right in the can. Like this ...

Never melted my cheese so shows the temps stayed nice and low:

Works great for cold smoking! I should also add, this works well in a metal cabinet I use for cold smoking. I don't have any pics of that set up right now, but I just added a smoke exhaust on top and some dowels for hooking stuff on. Never had the temp get even close to 100 degrees so seemed to be working well but I have only tried twice so it is still a new smoker for me, lol.[/img]
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:15 am

RodinBangkok wrote:Your best bet is to find a small fabrication shop and have one made to order. You don't necessarily have to do the entire structure in SS, you can do the frame is structural steel, then have the top surface as stainless. We do this all the time now, as its just too expensive to do the structural parts in stainless, unless its a requirement.

I am lining the inside of mine with aluminum. Easy to cut with some tin snips and cheaper than stainless. Between the metal cabinet and the aluminum I am adding high heat insulation. This way my cold smoke cabinet can also become a hot smoke cabinet too.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Be aware that aluminum can be reactive. I have some aluminum triangular sticks for hanging hams in the smokehouse and they've reacted with chemicals over the years. I'd look into the source and metallurgy of your aluminum sheeting and be positive it won't react with any meat, curing agents or cleanign products it may come in contact with.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Oddwookiee wrote:Be aware that aluminum can be reactive. I have some aluminum triangular sticks for hanging hams in the smokehouse and they've reacted with chemicals over the years. I'd look into the source and metallurgy of your aluminum sheeting and be positive it won't react with any meat, curing agents or cleanign products it may come in contact with.

Ah, good to know. I had some people at another forum recommend sheet aluminum for the ease of cutting (and since I don't work with metal I was hoping for something easy). I still haven't purchased any, probably more of a spring job, but I will have to reconsider. Any other recommendations or is stainless the only way to go?
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies