Aldi Electric Cool Box

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Aldi Electric Cool Box

Postby Gill » Thu May 31, 2012 3:20 pm

I have just purchased this electric cool box from Aldi, hoping I will be able to use it for curing meat. However, I shall be reliant on this forum for advice because I've no idea what to do with it! I know practically nothing about electrics but I've seen you guys talk other novices through the adaptation of all sorts of gadgets and I have every confidence in your good will and patience :) .

The box is made of plastic and insulated with solid polyurethane foam. It has a capacity of 30 litres. The lid contains the internal cooling fan and can be detached from the box. The advertising bumf claims the box will cool to 18C below ambient temperature. The instructions have the following technical data:

Input voltage: 12 V or 220 V~ - 240 V~ 50Hz
Power consumption: 47 W at 230 V~ (ECO mode), 55W at 230 V~ (Max mode)
Energy consumption: 130 kWh/annum
Cooling capacity: Max 18C below ambient temperature
Cooling unit: Thermoelectric (Peltier) element
Fuse: F5AL 250 V (integrated in 12 V universal plug)

Over to you good folks now - where do I go from here?

:)
Gill
Registered Member

Postby homer » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:19 am

Personally i dont think these type of coolers are designed to run 24/7, in fact i know of someone who had one and it caught fire.. fortunately he was there and it didnt go any further
using it as a fridge your wasting your time..keep a sarnie cold for a couple of hours there ideal
because the just cool to the max the temperature varies all over the place
they also like low humidity to work well..sadly the weather here is high humidity

so for my advice :roll: do what it says on the label..keep a tin of drink cool and put lunch in it, but don't use it for curing meat
Other half moaned on about me finding new hobbies ..found this site..now she's sorry!!
homer
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies