Biirthday Gift - Starter Kit

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Biirthday Gift - Starter Kit

Postby CustardCake » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:41 am

Hi,

I'd really appreciate some help in choosing the equipment that would make up a 'sausage starter kit' for my husband's birthday.

Would anyone be able to give me some advice as to what exactly I need to order - and the best equipment for a first-timer?

I know that it possible to buy starter-kits online - but I'm not sure if they are the best option.

Thanks
CustardCake
Newly Registered

Postby Oddley » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:06 am

Hi CustardCake welcome to the forum.

I think you will have to ask yourself some honest questions before deciding on the equipment you buy.

1: Is it you or he that is interested in home made sausages.
    2: Is he likely to carry on with sausage making
    3: Would he get fed up with hand mincing the meat.
    4: How much money do you have to spend

If it is you that wants him to make sausages, it is unlikely that he will carry on with the hobby. So cheap is best.

If the answer to 2 & 3 is yes then perhaps an electric mincer/stuffer would be best.

You can spend thousands of pounds on sausage making equipment, or less than a hundred. I think we all recommend starting small and if the person really gets interested, upgrade with more expensive stuff.

For a birthday present, I think one of the kits might be an idea to consider, as it contains everything you need to start straight away except the meat.

Below is just two kits to have a look at of course there are more on the web for you to choose from.

http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/C ... _meat.html

http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/E ... g_kit.html

Please come back and tell use what you decided to do. What equipment you bought and how it performed. As this will help people to decide in the future.
Oddley
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies