Digital Smokehouse Controller build.

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Postby Swede » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:35 pm

saucisson wrote:Nice work, was that a serial port on the far left for computer monitoring?

No, it's a totally stand alone unit. The digital control units are controlled and programmed through the buttons on them only.

Thanks all for the kind words, this is my first attempt at a control system for an electric smokehouse. As a matter of fact, it's my first smokehouse/smoker as well.

I've made several very good batches of farmer sausage using a simple pork/salt/pepper/minced garlic/cure#1 recipe. It's been a big hit, as well as the smoked pulled pork shoulder I've done too.
Swede
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:27 pm

If your temp controllers have alarms you can use those to add some additional features, such as turn off smoke when the Internal temp reaches a certain point, do a fast ramp to cooking temp with a booster burner. Not sure if the cheaper controllers have alarms, I use Omron.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Swede I'm probably going to need you to write my wife an apology note since I'm surely going to try to build something much like this in the next couple years.

Do you just connect the internal temp controller shutoff to a relay with reverse polarity so that it stays open unless the SV is reached? Do you use a PID or a bang bang controller for that aspect? Thanks.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies