Hand Grinder for home use.

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Hand Grinder for home use.

Postby dozappp » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Heyo!
Everytime I am in Tesco and see these pork shoulders on super offer I always wish I was the proud owner of a quality hand grinder.

I am not sure I want to make sausages but it intrigues me a little, but even if I do I will probably just use the grinder as a stuffer and make very small amounts. If I get more interested in sausage making I will invest in a sausage stuffer, don't you worry. But for now I am happy making my own mince for my ragu bolognese or for some chili!

Okay, so this is what I want out of my grinder:
1. I don't want it to jam often, I am happy going slow and cutting my meat into small cubes, but it cant jam often.
2. Let's say I want to mince approx 3kg of meat a month all at once, and I want this to take no longer than 1.5-2 hours.
3. I would prefer a metal unit to a plastic unit, unless the plastic one is far superiour.

Also I live in London, UK; but I am very happy to order online (not crazy shipping prices though). Also I want to spend approx. 50 GBP but a little more is not going to kill me. What do you recomend?!?!?!?!?!?

Thanks so much :D

- Dom
dozappp
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 pm

This mincer/grinder consistently gets good reviews both sides of the Atlantic:

http://www.northerntooluk.com/food-prep ... 8620E.html

It's a bit above your price range, but would be my choice with your budget.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:21 am

I use an electric grinder similar to the one Wheels recommends. I think an electric grinder is overkill for 3kg/mo., but if you decide to stick with it, you will probably start making in larger quantities and an electric grinder will make the job easier down the road.

If you really are going to stick with 3kg/mo., and you want to stick to your stated price range for a hand grinder, then I recommend a Porkert #10 (C-clamp table mount) or #12 (table-top manual grinder with feet), which run about 48 GBP on amazon.co.uk. Heavy, cast metal, double-tinned for corrosion resistance and easy cleaning, comes with 3 plates, a grinder knife, a spacer, and 3 plastic sausage horns. I used a #10 Porkert for years for grinding up to 10 kg.

A #10 hand grinder will grind about 1-1.5 kg/min. You would be able to grind 3 kg in a few minutes, nowhere near an hour.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby dozappp » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:00 pm

thank you both!

I think for now I will try to find a Porkert #10 because having the clamp would be useful for me. However, has Porkert gone out of buisness? I can't seem to find any dealer which has the #10 in stock!?
dozappp
Registered Member

Postby dozappp » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:51 pm

actually, i was browsing some online classifieds and found a porkert #5 used for dirt cheap, within walking distance. So I think I will buy that one first to see how I like it even though it may be a little small!
dozappp
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi, Good luck with your mincer should be ok as long as the knife is sharp.

I tend to use supermarket meat a lot when its on special and for run of the mill mince etc unless its for a special meal.

What you will learn when you open up one of these nicely presented shoulders for roasting and start to cut it up is what crap inside there you would have been eating if you had just roasted it as a joint and eaten it, glands,gristle etc etc and from what i have seen most supermarkets are the same.

On discovery of this if i want to use a cheap roasting joint for a meal i open it up, remove the skin and dry the skin, score at 5mm intervals with a craft knife, remove the said crappy bits,Re wrap in skin,re roll and tie into shape.

I don't know how butchers prepared rolled and tied joints are prepared because I always buy bone in etc and butcher myself, suffice to say i would never eat a bone and rolled joint from anywhere without opening it up and looking at it, that is of course unless it was a Brican Joint. :lol: :lol: Just in case Robert reads this !! But then again what does he know ! :lol:
Regards Gary.
PS Just my honest opinion.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies