salt cod (bacala)

salt cod (bacala)

Postby caruso » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:35 am

does anybody have a recipi and method for making salted cod? I am feel it resembles lox with out the flushing and brown sugar any help?
caruso
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:00 pm

I've been making my own salt cod for a few years now, as living in Durham it's pretty hard to find in the shops. I get my local fishmonger to give me the thicker head end of the fish, as the tail end can dry out too quickly. Then, put a centimetre layer of salt in a plastic/earthenware container and place the fish on top. Cover the fish with another layer of salt so it can not be seen and leave in the bottom of the fridge. You can add extra layers of cod and salt if you want. Check the fish after three or four days and pour of any liquid. You can add extra salt if any areas of fish are exposed. The cod will be done when the flesh is firm and no more liquid is produced. Brush off the excess salt and store (can be frozen if needed) It is possible to hang the salted cod in the sun (if you get any!)until really dry, in which case, freezing is unnecessary.

I use salted cod to make the Portuguese cataplana or the Jamaican Ackee and Saltfish or in fritters.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:10 pm

Strange - my local Tesco sells salt cod. Not cheap either - considering that it used to be peasant/poor peoples food!
aris
Site Admin

Postby Hobbitfeet » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:45 pm

And as it's so easy to make!
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby caruso » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:27 am

thank you hobbittfeet when I give it a try I will let you know how it turned out
caruso
Registered Member

Postby caruso » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:31 am

aris here in the states it was lobster there used to be a law on the roles that stated prisoners could not eat lobster more than 4 times a week as it was thought to be cruel.....how things have changed
caruso
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:34 am

caruso wrote:aris here in the states it was lobster there used to be a law on the roles that stated prisoners could not eat lobster more than 4 times a week as it was thought to be cruel.....how things have changed

This was the same in the UK for oysters - they were cheap and considered poor peoples food!
aris
Site Admin

Postby Wohoki » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:48 am

The London Apprentices went on strike in the 17th century because all they were given to eat was fresh-run wild salmon. Hard life, eh?
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby caruso » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:01 pm

aris & hobbit feet I went to get cod this weekend to make my own salt cod and the store I went had a sale on the salt cod(seems like its seasonal) and it was cheaper than buying fresh cod so I loaded up on it but I am still going to give it a try
caruso
Registered Member

Return to Fish curing