Brine strengths for salmon

Brine strengths for salmon

Postby Hobbitfeet » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:20 pm

I have always used an 80% brine solution for curing the salmon prior to smoking. However I have come across some literature which claims that A 60% solution is better. Has anyone any experience of brining at other percentage concentrations ?
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:53 pm

I treat them like dry cured bacon and sprinkle on 20g salt per kilo and seal in a bag.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Richierich » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:47 am

Just out of interest, how long would you leave them in the cure for?
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:22 am

Hi HF

When you say brine I am assuming you mean the water / salt soloution rather than the dry cure - is this correct?

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:43 pm

Hi All,

I was using a 2-4hr dry salt/sugar cure followed by 15-18hrs brining before hanging to dry and smoking. THen when I spoke to a freind that used to run a smoke house in Scottyland, he told me not to brine salmon. I just did a batch using 2 thirds salt and 1 third un refined caster sugar. Fillets were cured in the fridges for 11hrs dried then smoked. The result was very different indeed. A much firmer and easier to carve bit of fish that holds together better when cut.

I think the downside to this is that if selling by the weight you drwa a lot more out of the fish by dry curing. I was told that the aim is a 15% reduction in weight after smoking from the raw product.

To be honest I would probably use either method in the future depending on what way the wind was blowing...

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:19 pm

Interesting, I came across this, in one of Parson Snows links:

"Moisture Removal: Brines greater than 60� SAL (15.8% by weight) tend to remove significant moisture from the fish. Removal of water is important in limiting bacterial growth and enzyme activity. (Liquid brine concentrations with a salt content below 8% by weight will actually cause water absorption and swelling.)"

So an 80� brine will remove water from the fish but a 60� one won't, presumably giving a more succulent (and heavier) fish at the expense of a possibly reduced shelf life.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Hobbitfeet » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:32 pm

I must admit I am of the opion that a 60 % solution would not draw out sufficient moisture from the salmon. I too use a 2:1 salt:sugar dry cure for 8 hours on the fish but then another 8 hours or so in a 80% brine. Cutting out the brining stage would certainly cut down on time and costs. The drier endproduct might be a problem though - I've heard my customers praise the moistness of the salmon done to my present regime.

I can feel a couple of experiments coming on!
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Return to Fish curing