I Did My First Smoked Cod

I Did My First Smoked Cod

Postby Fallow Buck » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:11 am

Hi all,

We went out a couple of weeks ago and caught some cod in the channel, and I didn't want to just freeze it all down. (After 3 days of eating cod I was starting to wish I hadn't caught any!! )

So I decided to smoke some. I mad a cure up of 60% salt, and 40% mied sugars. I like to add some molasses sugar to my cures and I find the background taste goes incredibly well with the smoke. I also added Bay leaf and some cinnamon.

I bought some plastic CD storage boxes with clip on lids a while back and they really suit curing fish at home. so I laid them in the box layered with handfulls of the cure for just over 4 hours. Then they were rinsed, dried and placed in the smoker for 8-10hours, (I can't actually remember...)

what surprised me was the colour thatt the fish took on. It looked like it had be dyed but it was completely natural.

The finished product was fabulous. I can't wait to get some more cod and try it again. I did 8 sides and think I only have a couple left now.

I poached it in milk with some butter, and onion and some garlic for about an hour on the hot plate. Served with creamy mash and sprouting broccoli it was a most satisfying meal.

I'm out Bass fishing in a couple of weeks so I hope that if I get a spare fish then I might be really extravagant and smoke some bass too.

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:06 pm

That looks like a nice haul FB, are you sure it wasn't all the cod in the channel? :D

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fallow Buck » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:28 pm

Dave,

yes it was a good day, although all that fish was caught by 7 of us. It makes up for all the blank days I've had!!

Theres' definately a couple more down there as they took my hooks with them... ;)

I actually rang my wife and asked her to take some more out of the freezer for dinner tonight.
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Return to Fish curing