First time trout

First time trout

Postby tinca » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:15 am

Im off flyfishing next week and im hoping :P to bring back a few trout :wink: Having not hot or cold smoked anything before ,could someone give me a beginners recipe. More than likey a hot smoke one as it seems to be the simplest way of doing trout or fish for that matter :D

Merry Christmas Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:52 pm

Merry Christmas

For Hot smoking you could try this one:

http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm

I've found it good.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby tinca » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:30 am

Cheers Wheels, does the garlic and onion come through in the taste of the fish :?:
tinca
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:44 pm

tinca

I should have said (I was in a hurry with it being Christmas Day!) that I didn't use the brine, but just followed the method.

I used a simple 60% brine (that's (185g salt per litre water) with 60g per litre Demerara Sugar added.

You can see the results and read about it here:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/weblog/pivot/entry.php?id=379

Hope this helps

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby tinca » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:13 pm

Thanks Wheels
Hoping to catch a few trout tomorrow from syon park fishery :D ive modded a stainless steel vacum flask which was no good to me as the top kept popping off, into a smoker aand that will go into my incinerator/bbq bin come smoker. Do you heat the fish to a higher temp first or smoke first, also after smoking could you increase the fish temp by putting it in an oven after a cold smoke. :shock: just want to be sure as im diabetic and dont fancy dying of food poisioning :lol: :lol:

My username is tinca not because im a pikey, its the latin name of a coarse fish the tench "tinca tinca" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Gaz

Normally when cold smokingyou would use the fish as a 'raw' product like smoked salmon. Safety is provided by careful handling/preparation and by weight loss through curing/smoking. Commercially the fish in the UK that is to be eaten raw should be frozen prior to use for a period of time to get rid of any nasties.
There is no reason why you couldn't cook cold smoked fish in the normal way after smoking. However, given the 12-24 hours (or more) of smoking involved it seems heck of a kerfuffle for something that could be done more easily by...

...Hot Smoking.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby tinca » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:03 am

Cheers Wheels
Unfortunatly one couldnt fish yesterday as the lake was frozen :cry: so i spent my money on a new reel :P That put paid to the fish side of things , so i brought a piece of pork belly and put that in the old english wet cure instead :D but i will get around to doing some trout , if i catch any that is :oops: Gaz
p/s those fillets look de-lish :D
tinca
Registered Member

Return to Fish curing