Which fish are good cold-smoked and eaten raw?

Postby Jonty » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Richie,

there's a fantastic book called 'Food for free' by Richard Mabey, it's a cracking book for would be foragers.

Go for it with the Crayfish trap, you'll be doing the indigenous fish population a favour. The last time I used mine I had a pile of crays and a very good brown trout in it!! The trout went back though as I was hoping to catch it again later on a rod. I have family in Oxford and my nephews spend plenty of time crayfishing. I think the licence issue is a bit of a farce, I suppose the main thing is to be able to recognise a signal from a native and to make sure you don'r release them.

The main thing with foraging, is not to take on too much at once. Get a good book, look at your surrounding area and then read up on what you would expect to find in your area. Then get out there and get your hands dirty :wink:
Jonty
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:55 pm

At £2.50 from Amazon I couldn't not buy it really.

Thanks Jonty!!
Richierich
Registered Member

bicsester

Postby kiwi » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:39 am

Richierich wrote:
wheels wrote:HFW does some books:

http://www.rivercottage.net/Category225 ... tials.aspx

As for free food in Oxon, there must be plenty; how about elderflowers/berries, hips, haws, blackberries, rowanberries, sloes, wild damsons, crab apples, cherries, rabbits, zander(?) and other river fish, lake trout(?), crayfish, nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts etc), food from neighbours/friends trees (many people can't be bothered to pick their fruit - be cheeky and just ask), mushrooms, sorrel and other wild salads.

Regrettably, I can't get to these things to get most of them, but my Dad is a master at it - he picks all sorts of stuff from elderly (...and other) neighbours who are only to glad to have someone pick them for a few in return (or a pot of jam, bottle of home-made wine etc). He's also our 'master blackberry/sloe picker'.

Sorry, I'm not meaning to lecture, but given the necessary information I bet you'll be amazed at how much there is out there for the taking. :D :D

Phil

Phil,

Didn't take it as a lecture. I have looked in to crayfish, I believe the streams and canals close to where I am have the signal cray in them, however I do not think I would be able to "fish" regularly enough for them, my concern is that by catching a few of the larger territorial male crays I create a population explosion with whats left. I would look to fish in the smaller quieter parts of the water - I know it is possible, even downloaded the form from Env. Agency. Maybe I should stop being so bloody honest and just do it, same as with supplying stuff to friends etc.

As far as river fish are concerned, I am not a big fan of freshwater fish.

I quite fancy the idea of fruit, nuts etc. I am in a relatively lucky position to have plenty of countryside around, I don't like the thought of a 10 minute+ drive to go fishing etc.

Will have a look at HFW's stuff.

Thanks!

Rich

Gidday from NZ how is Bicester this time of the year I have friends in Bicester and Kirtlington Parry is the surname..

you should try smoked trout kiwi style simple open out whole fish rub in brown suga my hot r and plain salt, let stand for 1 hour or so, shake off excess then throw in your hot smoker for 30 mins yum eat straight off the smoker, beautiful, my smoker is an old wok and lid with rack. put woodchips on the bottom of wok throw over camp cooker flame cheers
kiwi
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:05 am

Kiwi - Bicester is wet at the moment, still full of bloody tourists thinking that there are bargains to be had at Bicester Village. More houses being built, even more people and still nothing to do. Although that said there is a bit of excitement in town, work is starting on the new town centre, should be finished in 2 years, we're getting a Sainsburys!!!
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby kiwi » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:41 pm

Richierich wrote:Kiwi - Bicester is wet at the moment, still full of bloody tourists thinking that there are bargains to be had at Bicester Village. More houses being built, even more people and still nothing to do. Although that said there is a bit of excitement in town, work is starting on the new town centre, should be finished in 2 years, we're getting a Sainsburys!!!
:P hey dude thanx for the reply tis plurry wet ere too. the rivers are too dirty to go for a trout fish, but the spring has sprung, i wasnt a tourist when i was over your way, i actually worked for oxford aunts cheers
kiwi
Registered Member

Postby JollyJohn » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:00 pm

I've caught mackerel, and eaten some fillet straight away, raw....fantastic! Also cooked them within the hour, in an Abu hot smoker, over oak dust...also fantastic! I reckon, if you can get some fillets into the cold smoker, whilst they're still fresh, they would be superb. But they gotta be fresh!

John.
JollyJohn
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Fish curing