Fresh farmed salmon.

Fresh farmed salmon.

Postby kimgary » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:57 pm

If I freeze a fresh salmon, defrost and COLD smoke, is it safe to freeze the smoked salmon, as in effect it has not been cooked?

Thanks in advance
Regards Gazza.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:26 pm

I do.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Yes, that's no problem from a hygienical point of view, but you may notice a deterioration in quality. In general, home freezing isn't very good for fish and doing it twice is dubious. Try to avoid freezing twice. Freezing should ideally be done at a much lower temperature.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:00 am

Many thanks, I run my freezer at -25°, I was aware that if i defrosted it and then smoked with a temp of about 5° or less then refreezing would be ok, but I was concerned if I smoked about 20-25° that it may have health implications, however as Phils blog is still active I shall give it a go!
:D

Regards Gazza.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like your style!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kevster » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:01 pm

kimgary wrote:Many thanks, I run my freezer at -25°, I was aware that if i defrosted it and then smoked with a temp of about 5° or less then refreezing would be ok, but I was concerned if I smoked about 20-25° that it may have health implications, however as Phils blog is still active I shall give it a go!
:D

Regards Gazza.

I was told that I should bring meats up to room temerpature before smoking...otherwise you get condensation on the meat and this can cause a bitter taste due to the 'wrong chemicals in the smoke' depositing on the meat (i.e. water-soluble chemicals rather than the fat-soluble chemicals that you want). Don't know if I've expressed/interpreted this correctly though :roll:
Kev
kevster
Registered Member

Return to Fish curing