Cold smoked salmon - weight loss

Cold smoked salmon - weight loss

Postby manfran » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:20 pm

As I type this, my proQ cold smoker is working its magic with a salmon fillet. I went with a simple cure of 3:1 salt to brown sugar. It sat in the cure for about 11 hours.

In one recipe source, I have read that you want the fish to have reduced in weight by 20% before it is safe to eat. At the moment, my fish is somewhere near the 11 or 12 percent mark in weight loss. However, I have read other recipes which don't mention a 'safe' weight loss.

Can anyone advise me?
:) Francis
manfran
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi, they need 16 - 18% weight loss.

The Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and food, Torry Research Station, Torry Advisory Note No. 5 (Revised) says:

Dry salted fillets should lose 7-9 per cent of their weight during smoking, to give the required total loss during salting and smoking of 16-18 per cent; brined fillets, which lose no weight during brining, need about twice as long in the kiln to give the same total weight loss.

I hope that this helps.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby manfran » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks Phil. That's really useful :D
:) Francis
manfran
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi Phil,
Thank you for that info. After cold smoking fish for 40 years I never knew about the weight loss.
From now on I will have a set of scales handy.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby SteveW » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:34 pm

Hey manfran, I don't weigh fish anymore , I go by feel, once you've done a few salmon you'll know how they should feel. If you're not sure at first go for slightly under cured, at least it will still be edible.
SteveW
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:58 pm

I've never managed to get anywhere near those weight losses. 10% is about as much as I routinely achieve with shop-bought fillets, and I find the smoked fillet keeps in the 'fridge for a good three weeks, more if one is careful not to touch it with bare skin when cutting a few slices.

(I use a similar method - about 12 hours curing, then smoke for as long as the CSG takes to burn out)

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:10 pm

I rarely do either Martin. I put it down to the fact that the fish we buy will have lost weight during the time between them being caught and getting to us. Some of the professional smokers virtually have the fish swimming into the smoker!

I dry salt, smoke, then if I feel they need it, air dry in my curing fridge for a couple of days.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:16 pm

hi all

for what its worth I smoke a lot of salmon to sell both as pate and whole fish so this may be of interest when smoking a fillet, this is what I do and I have had the end result tested by EH to 10 days with no problems :

1) salt the bottom of the tray you intend to lay the fish fillet on.

2) lay the fish on the tray (not metal) cover the fish in salt, thus forming a crust - deeper than the London method

3) put tray into fridge for 8 hours

4) rinse fillet and put back in the fridge for 2 or more hours

5) put in smoker and smoke for the required time. Approx, Bradley 3 hours, CGS the full smoke.

Do not smoke fish in tempratures exceeding 63 degrees and if yuou are not happy with the outside temp, load the smoker box with ice blocks.

there is evidence that freezing the fillet for 3 months before smoking kills off a higher % of bacteria and finally make sure your hands are spotless as bacteria really do multiply.

hope this helps

cheers ww

Oh and remember if you weigh your fish to do it when it is thoroughly dry not when you wash the salt off as this will give you a much higher weight.
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:19 pm

WW wrote:exceeding 63 degrees

Typo?

Thanks WW, it's great to have the details from someone whose products have been tested.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:32 am

Hi Wheels

Yep i was wrong please see below - thank you

Some important points to remember:
•Cold smoking is done at temperature between 10°C - 32°C (50°F - 90°F) and idealy at 24°C - 26°C. Do not try to cold smoke at higher temperatures.
•Only use containers that are made from either glass, food grade plastic or high quality Stainless Steel for preparing meats.
•Use the best and freshest meat/ fish, preferably organic.
•Don't use woods that have been treated, or come from an unknown source

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks WW. The advice is both your posts is superb.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks Phil but I should say the last post was lifted from Macs BBQ site. Still relevant though :)

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing