My Vertical Smoker Build

My Vertical Smoker Build

Postby ComradeQ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:56 am

I have been working on my smoker build, converting an old metal storage cabinet to a hot/cold smoker. The dimensions are 35" wide x 35" high x 18" deep and I have included a picture below. The plan is to strip the paint off and repaint with high temp black bbq paint. I have acquired some 1" high temp insulation for free from a company that has agreed to let me have the extra off cuts. Additionally I have purchased some 22 gauge stainless steel sheet metal to line the inside insulation with. Since I do not weld I will be attaching everything with rivets. I will also use some of the stainless steel to make a chimney stack (maybe 2? What does the group think?) These pics are a little old, I have since stripped out the inside and removed the doors. As soon as it warms a little I will be going hard on stripping the paint and doing everything else so I can get it working ASAP. I'm just trying to get all the materials gathered before hand to make it easier.

The cabinet:

Now at another forum I am on they suggested I use propane for my heat source since the area will be too large to efficiently heat using electric. I've been considering using this http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Electric-Ig ... m_sbs_hi_1

The idea would be to mount it in the back bottom of the smoker with the control and ignition on the outside. I am still debating this and would love some input/suggestions for alternatives if there are any? I'm on a fairly limited budget and have blown a large chunk on going the stainless steel route (well worth it though). I still haven't figured out what I will use for racks and sausage rods so input there would also be appreciated. So basically I am asking for any suggestions or help that you good folks can give?? Thanks!!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Re: My Vertical Smoker Build

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:39 am

It's not that big.
Propane sucks as far as controlling temperatures accurately (without a fancy set-up anyway).
Go with electric.
What are you going to do with the shelves?
I like a "smokehouse" that's tall and narrow rather than wide so the smoke continuously flows past the meat and exits rather than tarrying and becoming stale, but to each his own.

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:16 am

I have removed the shelves completely as well as the doors for now. So what set up would you recommend if I were to go electric? Can I use electric elements to smoke my wood with? I really have no idea how I would do it, story for the questions. Propane seems easy to me but I agree control would be nice. How would I put the electric components in and how expensive would it get?
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:18 am

Also, if it is electric I'm assuming that would make it difficult to use if it started to rain half way through a smoke?
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi comradeQ....I've been designing a hot/cold smoker in my head for a while now....My humble opinion is to separate the heat control and smoke generation for the ultimate in control. I have a simple gas vertical smoker from home depot, and have a great deal of trouble controlling the temp (even after adding two vents to the top of the unit)
My plan is to gut the gas stuff out and replace with a high wattage solid hotplate element controlled by an oven style t.stat. That should give me the accuracy/flexibility of a conventional oven.
For the smoke..my plan is to make a simple venturi type CSG and plumb it into the side of the smoker. This combination should give me the ability to hot smoke at any temp or cold smoke. :D
Then all i have to do is address the humidity issues...haven't got that far yet...thinking maybe a fogger or ultrasonic humidifier...
Dingo
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing