Smoking a cured ham ahead of party????

Smoking a cured ham ahead of party????

Postby AKokkinos » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi to all. I do hope someone can help me out here since I need to plan for a big party (40+ persons) on Sunday noon. So, I have a 7-pound ham curing in the fridge for the past 8 days (part injection (6%), part dry rub including Cure #1). In order to free up the smoker (since the smoking of the ham will take about 4 hours), I planned to smoke it the day before and glaze it in the oven the day of the party. I planned to simply smoke it at 250 degrees F to an internal temp of 140 degrees F (for as long as it takes) cool it and refrigerate it until the party day. Then, bring it to room temp, and roast it at 350 degrees F and glaze it until it reaches 160 degrees F. My wife worries that this process will probably dry out the ham. Any ideas? Recommendations? Can I do this and still get a moist ham?

Thanks,

Andreas
AKokkinos
Registered Member

Re: Smoking a cured ham ahead of party????

Postby NCPaul » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:13 pm

I wouldn't expect your plan to give a dry ham. Please post some pictures of your result. Good luck. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Smoking a cured ham ahead of party????

Postby Wunderdave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:21 pm

I say no need to take it to 160 for service if you're especially concerned about moisture, but it's up to you. Plan sounds safe.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing