pre-existing shed Brick built smoker conversion.

pre-existing shed Brick built smoker conversion.

Postby GUS » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:49 pm

This is a for the long haul idea,but figured i'd sound it out.

I have a woodshed, single skin brick tiled & roofed area.
When i say shed it's not more like a pallet on the fllor in space (or less, door opening straight onto raised area for air circuation (drying flow from below).

I'd actually like to make it eventually a hot & cold smoker unit & am wondering what to line it out with in terms of sheet metal in order that it can be if needed dual use.
overall height (guestimated0 is 8 ft floor to roof, (though i'd insulate the roof & guide smoke out the top side instead of interfering with tiling etc.

just seems the perfect place (with a few downsides that can be negated with little effort & within a few feet of the front door0.
My biggest concern right now would be the chimney run of around 9 ft to get it out of a turbulant zone.
it's a house door (or mores width & depth, so minimal construction alteration, merely lining out & hanging rails for hooks etc, ..after i've got the hang of initial smoking within in my home office workshop area.

will post up a pic shortly for some advice.

Outside influences maybe pressure equalisation due to proximity to the neighbours "technically" illegal heating outlet, to which, if encountered i'd implement a computer fan, forced air set up.

it's south facing, but mostly obscured by next door so shaded most of the time.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Re: pre-existing shed Brick built smoker conversion.

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Brick internal walls are best. They cake up the best.

Your neighbours heating outlet sounds a worry though - you don't want gas or oil boiler fumes in there!

maybe a longer intake pipe from your firebox elsewhere will deal with that?
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing