Hot Smoked Sausages in a Bullet BBq - advice needed

Hot Smoked Sausages in a Bullet BBq - advice needed

Postby Fatmat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi Folks,

I have a ProQ Excel 20. I made my first attempt at hot smoking sausages yesterday. I had a major problem with keeping the temperature low enough. I understand that I should be hot smoking at a max temp of 70C with the aim of raising the internal sausage temp to 65C (otherwise the fat melts and the sausages end up all crumbly).

I had a nightmare getting the temp low enough. I ended up cooking at 85C, which melted the fat on the outside of the sausage.

Does anybody have any tips on getting the Excel to run at lower temperatures?

Thanks,

Mat

P.S.The sausages tasted fantastic - I just want to make them better!!.
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Re: Hot Smoked Sausages in a Bullet BBq - advice needed

Postby saucisson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:51 pm

I've not got one but I'd suggest fewer coals to start with, or use the minion method, also check you've got your vents closed down to a crack and not fully open.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fatmat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:00 pm

Many thanks for your reply Saucisson.

I used the minion method, but probably started with too many coals. I think my question is... Is it possible to run a bullet bbq that low - has anybody tried and succeeded?

Mat
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby derekmiller » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:48 am

Hi Mat.
I hot smoke my bacon on my WSM.
I aim for 150F/66C.
To achieve this I cook it at the end of cooking a brisket or pulled pork. So the coals have been burning for 8-10hrs or so. I get a good 3hr cook at that temperature.
derekmiller
Registered Member

Postby Fatmat » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Hi Derek, Many thanks for your reply. That means that it can be done... hopefully in my ProQ too. I'm going to have a go with a circular minion and a half a chimney of coals to see if that does it.

Mat
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby The Idiot » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:14 am

I have an Excel 20. I use both sections and put sausage in the top one, chuck in 3/4 of a Weber chimney of briquettes, get it to temperature, then close two vents, the third open about 30%. I tend to top up the water with a wine bottle of cold every hour.

Also, you will have noticed the Excel sucks air (well, mine does). i have closed all three vents and it doesn't go out.
The Idiot
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:48 pm

I can run a WSM between 150 and 170 for about 6 hours by making a very small fire - 1 or 2 lit coals and a small pile, and by closing down the vents mostly at about 130.

Temps can run away from you if you're not careful, you need to stay on top of it.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing