Smoking olive oil

Smoking olive oil

Postby GUS » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:23 pm

I know there are a few basic stick it in a shallow pyrex bowl & cold smoke it for 3-4 hours stirring occasionally, use higher quality olive oil directions...

However my concern is the exposure to air which knocks back the quality over time, how do you think this product is claimed to be done!? ...citing the example of "the smoked olive" they claim in a video (cannot source at this point) to smoke it with neither air, heat or light.

Anyone got ideas? ...how long does home smoked csg take to spoil, as oil is claimed to be a quick flavour absorber,

I'm doubtful as to the exact "without air" claim of a small but burgeoning farmers market set up that has blossomed, but would like to try some myself (was "herbing up" some olive oil & vinegar yesterday with the nipper & had forgotton what the 3 litres of oil had been purchased for in anticipation of getting my csg.

Advice & thoughts in general as ever greatly appreciated, (did a quick search here but nothing definitive).

On a side note, I do have a drizzle bottle in the kitchen above the hob (not ideal) so technically that's exposed to air 24/7 ..either i've got used to heavily degraded olive oil or there's not so much in it!? (have a prety good nose & palate, ..well I think so) :oops:

So whilst I will bash out some in shallow pyrex i'd like to "do it better" if simple, logical & practical.

The only thing I can think of is that this guy might (an uneducated guess) be doing a liquid smoke type distillation in some shape or form!? ..what do you think?
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Re: Smoking olive oil

Postby wheels » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:10 pm

I've never done this. I Googled 'the smoked olive' and couldn't find anything about smoking without heat, air or light.

Cold smoking without heat and light are taken for granted, so that's not an issue. Smoking without air? Well, I guess, that's open to interpretation. We refer to cold smoking as being anaerobic when we say that meat needs to be cured to make it safe for smoking, so...? We know we're not smoking in a vacuum?

How much of what they've said is 'Sales Talk'?

My own view? Well, I think that very little top quality olive oil will be improved by being smoked. If it would, the growers would do it for us. If this was my project, I'd put some bog standard olive oil, sort of everyday stuff that you'd use for cooking rather than salad dressing's, into a shallow tray and give it one run of the CSG, with whatever vents your smoker has open.

Let the smoke shake hands with the oil, rather than have a long conversation!

When you taste the results, you can decide how to progress.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby RodinBangkok » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:25 am

I think you'd probably be better looking at infusion processes, there are different processes depending on what your trying to infuse. Here's a site with some explanations of terminology and techniques.

http://www.pindariherbfarm.com/educate/infusion.htm

Pay particular attention to food safety guidelines when infusing any fresh veg or herb type materials!

You may be looking at infusing a water based flavor such as condensed smoke with the oil (tincture) , or they could be using dry condensed oil soluble flavors, that is far away from home production techniques and uses ingredients from the big flavor suppliers for commercial use.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby Thewitt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:36 am

Bubble the smoke through the oil?
Thewitt
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:58 am

olive oil bong :shock:
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks for the responses people!

I'm also of the mind that it's marketing hyperbole (or ball-hooks) too, fact is they "claim" to have invented the idea of smoking olive oil, which if i'm an honest non gullible consumer is tosh, based on how long food smoking has been in existance, ..probably a ball of string (yarn) & therefore if dug around, the first in his state to do it commercially, after all when I was a kid I remember leaving all sorts in the smoker box because it was storage as well as vermin, midge & fly proof, the smoke a deterrent in general & a good collection point for my meals cooking materials..invariably foods took on smoke whilst in the box, some good, some..... bleurgh

(Went to the theatre last week in Cambridge, so a backpack is part of dressing each day in the city, it had been left hanging in the smoke room (office) & was imbued with a delightful scent, i'd almost swear I had a few hungry looks from others seated nearby). :lol:

Light? well as for lots of items spoiled by temperature & strong light ..easy to bottle in dark colours, as you would vanilla etc,

Air, well smoke needs transferrance, so air has to be involved along the line as a carrier, I don't reckon it's performed in a vacuum chamber either, pointless & expensive, nor has the extreme exclusion of air been involved in the olive oil process over the years (as far as I can see).

Nor can I see it done in a bong, again requiring air transferrance.

The only limitation I'd guess at is a controlled air intake / outlet ..just like any smoker.
It wouldn't be done under valved pressure because that requires air & smoke hanging around would result in spoilage, so unless they make themselves clearer I'm of the mind it's drivel (happy to be proven wrong).

(the other key factor that reinforces "drivel" ..sorry "marketing" is the claim that the olives are the finest, premium olives from that state ..well we are all going to big up our crop aren't we)!? & olives grow in many countries not unique to the USA..

it's slick I grant you.... " The concept was a flash of inspiration, while the realization required many years of struggle and innovation to perfect. Al’s complex process proved to be so incredibly unique, we have a patent pending"

& sometimes we find that common sense solutions were just never patented, merely used by generations a the way to do something. :roll:
phpBB [video]

& on this link she states...
phpBB [video]

Not trying to belittle them, just understand the process involved amongst all the product marketing,
I have no doubt that in today's fast paced society a product that jazzes up food in a healthyish manner is not to be passed by, ..& if you can turn a living, NICE.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby derekmiller » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Gus.

I have seen this used to smoke soups and Vodka (very nice).

Dont see why it couldnt be used for your olive oil.

Derek
derekmiller
Registered Member

Postby derekmiller » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:41 pm

derekmiller
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:46 pm

If I wanted to add smoke flavor to olive oil, minimize oxidation, light and heat deterioration, I'd use powdered smoke, and not have to worry about air, light or heat. If I wanted to market blends of the resulting oil - smoky, diluted with strong EVOO, or smoky with chili flakes, then I'd run it through plate filters after allowing the smoke powder to infuse, so it would be pristine in the bottle.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:48 pm

hmm. i'll have to drop a piece of lump charcoal in some oil and see what happens.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:52 pm

vagreys wrote:hmm. i'll have to drop a piece of lump charcoal in some oil and see what happens.

Hmmm let us know what the results are Tom, you got me curious
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:10 am

wonder if it would filter out some of the tastes of the oil
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:52 am

Would also appreciate your charcoal findings back here if you've time.

I wish to de-obfuscate the "mystery" this guy has spun around this, ..albeit his is on a commercial scale, when you invest in anything foodie you want the best from it, Olive oil isn't cheap, so trying to work out a process if preference of favour of flavour ..compared to "burnt offerings"

Olive oil has lots of potential as a long life go to kitchen condiment, so i'm keen to give it a series of attempts, will try a basic oil only mix & a chili peppercorn mix to see how flavours work & whether to smoke it nude* or to infuse other ingredients first.

*it, not me
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.

GUS
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:25 am

vagreys wrote:If I wanted to add smoke flavor to olive oil, minimize oxidation, light and heat deterioration, I'd use powdered smoke, and not have to worry about air, light or heat. If I wanted to market blends of the resulting oil - smoky, diluted with strong EVOO, or smoky with chili flakes, then I'd run it through plate filters after allowing the smoke powder to infuse, so it would be pristine in the bottle.

Call me lazy, (many do) ..but any good sources for powdered smoke & filtration thereof? ..i'm in unknown ground where that's concerned.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.

GUS
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:44 am

Not a recommendation but a good starting point for the powder.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Hickory ... B00A5ZAA64
DanMcG
Registered Member

Next

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing