Cold Smoked Almonds

Cold Smoked Almonds

Postby ratman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:18 pm

I know I did this before but with Christmas only a few days away, give this a go. You won't be disappointed with the results. I do mine in half kilo batches in the cold smoker but you can do as many or as few as you like. In a large saucepan slowly melt a knob of butter and add the almonds to the pan, on a very low heat turn the almonds until they are all coated in the melted butter. Transfer the almonds to a flat baking tray and spread them out before putting them in a pre heated oven 180 degrees for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool a little. In a plastic container add 4 large tablespoons of granulated sugar and a third of a tablespoon of table salt. add the almonds to the tub and put the lid on before shaking the container to ensure the nuts get a good coating of the sugar and salt mix. They are now ready for the smoker, I spread them out on a splash guard, the sort you but to put over the frying pan to stop it spitting. Place them in the smoker for around 5-6 hours, I usually use hickory and oak mixed dust. Remove from smoker and put in an airtight bag to allow the smoke flavour to really get established. Results are terrific. Good Luck and Merry Christmas !!
For all things country and great recipes http://www.countryways.uk.com
ratman
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing