smokey mountain now with pid control

smokey mountain now with pid control

Postby homer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:11 pm

well after a year of getting the bits together and not doing much with it i finally got around to building the pid control for the weber smoker
setting up the parameters on the pid is not for the faint hearted and after lots of sleepless nights searching the net for "standard" settings it seems there just is not any or at least i could not find them!
so days later and i sussed it!, fitted it all up friday afternoon..fired it up and nothing :roll: not a peep..so panic set in from 6pm going over and over the settings and finally got it working correctly at 2am!!
done some baby back ribs and a slab of meaty ribs on saturday while nursing it..just in case :wink: and all seemed to go well managed to hold the tempreture +/- 5 degrees all on its own :mrgreen:
will be chucking a longer smoke on this weekend using a 6kg brisket and changing the fuel to Australian heat beads as they have been getting good reviews, my current fuel is 12kg restaurant charcoal bags which were good at the start but now just seem to be half full of dust and bits of plastic and crap :evil:
I also bought some penfuels hog roast briquettes..4 bags more to the point which are absolutely useless, very difficult to light and then give off less heat than a tea light!!! real waste of money
few pics of the pid mod..in case anyone is wondering..yes the bowl that attached the blower to the smoker is a stainless steel dog bowl..brand new i might add :roll: which just fitted perfectly over the air intake, wont rust, hygienic etc etc
the read out on the pid is just a camera shutter speed thing it is actually showing 113 and 115 degrees Celsius

Other half moaned on about me finding new hobbies ..found this site..now she's sorry!!
homer
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing