Sausage making Help

Re: Sausage making Help

Postby DanMcG » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:03 am

You might want to consider something like this, they are inexpensive and a good stating point for the occasional sausage maker.
https://www.amazon.com/Weston-Grinder-S ... at+grinder
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Odin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Hello janejskelton

There are so so many options out there; it can be confusing. Do you have a budget in mind? I started with a cheap electric grinder, $99.00, and it worked great. I then started making more and more sausage and pushed her a little to hard and she quit on me. DanMcG’s suggestion of a manual one is good as you can’t kill those devices. The other benefit is developing a very strong arms.

If you have a kitchen aid mixer and don’t plan on heavy usage they make a good grinder attachment.
Odin
Registered Member

Postby Odin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Janejskelton

The Vivo is just a stuffer it doesn’t grind meat. I have a 5 pound capacity Vivo, very nice stuffer but a bit difficult to use without help.

The grinder you mention seems to only be sold on Amazon and really didn’t get very good reviews. Amazon isn’t what it use to be and they sell a lot of garbage now. Fake reviews are a common practice. If you find something there you like check around to see who else sells the item. The one you like I couldn’t find elsewhere except Ebay and I never buy from them.

I would stick to grinders sold from multiple sources such as Weston, Tsm, Lem etc. Weston has a 575 watt #8 grinder that sells for between $90-130. Bed Bath and Beyond has 20% off coupons all the time and they sell the Weston grinder.

Just watch shipping costs from everyone. You could start with just a grinder as it will stuff sausages, well sort of, but its not ideal. All depends on how involved you get in sausage making.
Odin
Registered Member

Postby Odin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:35 pm

Jane I suggest you watch a few YouTube videos on the subject. There is no multipurpose machine what works well other than my suggestion about a kitchenaid with attachments, which is expensive. Your best bet is to use a grinder and try stuffing with it. It’s really not that difficult finding the proper information if you do a little research.
Odin
Registered Member

Postby badjak » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:09 pm

It's a tricky one, but if you are not sure yet, then maybe look into a manual grinder and a stuffing attachment.
It's not ideal and you will need 2 people to stuff sausages.

I started out with a manual grinder (#32, which is big and heavy, but I got help) and I used this one to stuff sausages as well. I very quickly moved to a cheap electric grinder as it was about the only thing available in my neck of the woods. The moment I got an option to import some better stuff, I went for the LEM stuffer and grinder.
Honestly, the stuffer was the biggest improvement. Everything is a lot easier with a dedicated stuffer.

In your case, maybe look at a manual grinder or a cheap(ish) electic one and start by making skinless sausages. If you like it, you can easily expand
Life is too short to drink bad wine
badjak
Registered Member

Postby ttx450 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:35 pm

If you are just starting out, get your hands on some already ground pork. Find some simple recipes, many here, like breakfast sausage. You have no investment, and you can make some 1lb batches and learn some basic techniques and make very good sausage. Grant it you are not grinding, stuffing, etc., but you be surprised by what you can make.
ttx450
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing