Bradley smoker issue

Bradley smoker issue

Postby ahm Fae glasgow » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi guy's, I picked up a used Bradley electric smoker last summer with 4 racks. I thought it would be a good place to start the foray and did manage to get some chicken, ribs and sausages done. I used a thermometer to ensure that they had been done to proper temps and apparently they where safe to eat at that ( I'm still here, so that's proof enough I guess ) Anyways I digress, the issue is that it never gets over 120-130 degrees even on the hottest day of the summer. Anyone got any suggestions as getting any higher temp is impossible at this stage of the game and smoking over winter with the temps here in Ontario Canada is simply not going to happen.

thanks in advance
I'm Too cheap to buy store made sausages, but spent way too much on equipment.
ahm Fae glasgow
Registered Member

Re: Bradley smoker issue

Postby DanMcG » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:47 am

That's definitely not right, but I don't have an answer for you. You might want to post it at the Bradley forum.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/
I'm sure they can help ya out.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Chickenthief » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:46 pm

Are we talking Celcius or Fahrenheit???
Chickenthief
Registered Member

Postby ahm Fae glasgow » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:44 pm

Chickenthief wrote:Are we talking Celcius or Fahrenheit???

Fahrenheit.
ahm Fae glasgow
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:27 pm

It sounds to me that one of the two elements is not heating. If you are getting smoke than the element in the smoke generator is likely the only one working and the main element is probably the faulty one. There could be a few reasons for this but lets start with the easiest ... check the plugs for the main element to ensure they are seated. Most commonly they come loose and it is a simple fix. Barring that it may be two more complicated issues; 1) The internal wiring has become disconnected or; 2) The element needs replacing. If you are not getting smoke then it may be in the smoker generator. You can open it up by unscrewing 8 screws and you can check the connections are plugged in correctly. Another issue may be if you are using an extension cord. I have heard some complaints that the Bradley requires plugging directly into an outlet sometimes as some extension cords are not up to par. I hope this helps!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:45 pm

ComradeQ wrote:It sounds to me that one of the two elements is not heating. If you are getting smoke than the element in the smoke generator is likely the only one working and the main element is probably the faulty one. There could be a few reasons for this but lets start with the easiest ... check the plugs for the main element to ensure they are seated. Most commonly they come loose and it is a simple fix. Barring that it may be two more complicated issues; 1) The internal wiring has become disconnected or; 2) The element needs replacing. If you are not getting smoke then it may be in the smoker generator. You can open it up by unscrewing 8 screws and you can check the connections are plugged in correctly. Another issue may be if you are using an extension cord. I have heard some complaints that the Bradley requires plugging directly into an outlet sometimes as some extension cords are not up to par. I hope this helps!

Apparently there was an issue with the elements in some Bradley smokers. Seems you can get replacement ones from Bradley if needed. Some more advice is here: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21639.0
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ahm Fae glasgow » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Look like I have some items to further investigate as issues for the heat problem. Worst case scenario, I spend a weekend with a few mates and build a very nice smoke house. I can see this turning into a real adventure.
ahm Fae glasgow
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:27 pm

Odd this but I was at a friend's house on Saturday and he asked if I knew why his smoker was not reaching temp. Went out to check and low and behold it was a Bradley. Fired it up at the top temp and after 15 minutes checked the main element and it wasn't glowing red as it should have been. We checked the connections and sure enough it had become unseated. After reseating we again tested and it heated with no issues. Strange how that can occur so shortly after your inquiry.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ahm Fae glasgow » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:24 am

ComradeQ wrote:Odd this but I was at a friend's house on Saturday and he asked if I knew why his smoker was not reaching temp. Went out to check and low and behold it was a Bradley. Fired it up at the top temp and after 15 minutes checked the main element and it wasn't glowing red as it should have been. We checked the connections and sure enough it had become unseated. After reseating we again tested and it heated with no issues. Strange how that can occur so shortly after your inquiry.

! now that you mention it I have never seen the element glow. I will take a look at that!
ahm Fae glasgow
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing