Gas BBQ

Gas BBQ

Postby georgebaker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:03 pm

Hi
I bought a gas BBQ a few years ago and only ever used it a couple of times.

It seems to be to hot and burns everything. Please tell me whow to use it because it's a bad workman who blames his tools and I can not believe that it would be sold if it was completly useless

Thanks
George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:14 pm

I can't help you, I'm a wood and charcoal man :) , but what make and model have you got as that will no doubt help people advise you? How many burners, lava rock or metal plates that sort of stuff etc ?

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby BBQer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:48 pm

Like Saucisson, I'm a charcoal and wood BBQer myself. But hey, I can always lend an opinion :D

What you have is a grill. It cooks hot and fast, so things that are appropriate for hot and fast cook great on it, like steaks, shrimp, kabobs.

Also with that hot and fast, you've got to stay with it and mind the cooking. You run to the fridge for another cold beer and could come back to burnt meat.

Alternative uses depend on the configuration of the grill. If you have multiple burners, you can turn one on and leave the others off. Then you'll have a hot spot to do the searing with and a cooler spot to slow the cooking down a bit.

Another thing you can do with multiple burners is a bit of smoking. You take some saw dust/chips of an appropriate smokewood (hardwood that comes from a tree that bears fruit or nuts, like cherry, apple, pecan), put it in a foil pouch and poke some holes in the foil with a fork. Put that under the grate, over the lit burner, put the meat over the unlit burners, keep the lit burner down on low to medium. Close the lid and let the meat absorb some smoke. Just remember a little goes a long way.

Most of all - experiment! Good luck!

Use appropriate tools those grills get hot!
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby porker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:35 pm

We had a gas one but returned to the charcoal as we felt the flavours just wern't the same, as a matter of fact we would use vine wood if we could get it...as we found from experience that so far, it was the best for cooking with!

Best Regards, :)
porker
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:17 pm

Hi BBQer
how did you know about it burning when I went to get a beer?

Its a lava rock one with only an On/Off gass control, blue gas bottle.

Flared up at first 15 minutes, after things were burnt the fat stopped dropping off and it kind of worked OK

Free meal to anyone who wants to come to North Manchester to teach me to use it. If no one takes me up on it I will give it a couple more goes by myself, Then try to use it as a smoker, If I can not get it to work---- then its time to get rid of it.

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:28 pm

how did you know about it burning when I went to get a beer?

Lucky guess. That's what happens to me on occasion. If I'm quick and time it right - no problem. Time it wrong or get distracted-dinner's a celery stick.

If you only have one heat control (I assume you have low to high control between on and off), then you don't have much flexibility. It's pretty much a steak sear-er. For any control at all try running it at the lowest setting that still keeps the flame burning.

The lava rock is supposed to prevent flare-ups. You do have the lava rock on a grate between the flame and the cooking grate, right? Of course you do, just kidding. If there are gaps between the lava rock that is allowing drippings to hit the flame, get more lava rock and put enough to fill in all the gaps. Then keep a spray bottle of water handy to shoot the flare-ups with.

Practice with cheap meat - chicken or something.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:34 pm

George

Unfortunately a lot of gas BBQ's do not have a facility to adjust the grill further away from the heat source, and I would hazard a guess that you have this type. I also have the same kind but managed to make another position about 3" higher, although mine has a gas regulator with 2 knobs for the 2 burners. My neighbour bought a similar one, with no adjustment features, and spent all last summer burning the food.. he hasn't BBQ'd this year, says he gets a better result cooking in the oven in the kitchen.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:46 pm

You have to use indirect heat for things that take a long time and have lots of fat in them like a whole chicken. For indirect heat turn one burner off and place your meat over the burner that is turned OFF. the other burner will cook things perfectly with no flare ups. Before cooking something the next time start both sides and make sure all the fat from the previous use is burnt off . This assumes that you have 2 burners and controls. I wouldn't ever go back to charcoal. Gas is very controlable. You control the size and location of the heat, where as in a charcoal you move away from the heat source with little or no control of the heat . There is a slight difference in taste which you can adjust by using a small amount of wood wrapped in tinfoil placed right on the burner . It will give you a smokey flavour. Hope this helps
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:46 am

use it as you would a charcoal BBQ .......

Heat it up on full burners to get the lava rock nice and hot with the lid shut down.

Then turn it down to low and cook your meat on the residue heat in the lava rocks again with the lid down to retain the cooking heat.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:33 pm

georgebaker wrote:... Its a lava rock one with only an On/Off gass control, blue gas bottle. ...

George, you need some control - either over the gas rate or the distance to the food. With charcoal, you might adjust the distance, but more likely you'd adjust the air supply to the coals.

I'm kinda surprised about only having an on/off control.
I went into a Wilkinsons branch this week (homebrew stuff) and noticed that they are offering a gas barbie with 3 independent burners for �80 (�60 online). Next week Lidl have a single burner thing for �35 (gas regulator inc, unlike my local garden centre). I rather assumed all those knobs were adjustable controls... they seem to have 'tapered' markings indicating adjustability... I was beginning to be tempted.
What make is this thing, George?

Is there the prospect of adding a gas control valve? Is there any risk that the actual burner might not operate safely with a reduced gas supply? I can understand the risk if the flame is allowed to go out, so that unburnt gas escapes, but that apart, are there any pitfalls awaiting the unwary?
dougal
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:08 pm

I think most are adjustable, the full on Volcano setting is for quickly getting it up to temperarature and also for cremating fat and food deposits to clean it up, actual cooking should be done at a lower temperature as Rik suggested. If George only has the one temperature that could be the root of his problem, it's may be a poor design or may be faulty.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby georgebaker » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:55 pm

Hi
The control knob seems to have only on/off settings, no taper, dots or numbers. Only 1 burner

The machine does not have any brand name on it but I think it came from B&Q

I will try the things that people have mentioned and see how I get on

Thanks for all the help so far
George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby Lard Boy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:30 pm

Just a thought, If you have the know how to install a high pressure regulator (like a air compressor regulator) at the tank connection you can regulate the heat with that. Just know what your doing and check for leaks with soap water before firing it up.
If your not sure about what you are doing, go see the folk down at your local LP distributor, they can help you out. It's not a good thing to mess with flammable fuels if you don't know what you are doing. Lost a eye brow when I was a kid messing with such things. :lol:
Lard Boy
Registered Member

Re: Gas BBQ

Postby pokerpete » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:05 pm

georgebaker wrote:Hi
I bought a gas BBQ a few years ago and only ever used it a couple of times.

It seems to be to hot and burns everything. Please tell me whow to use it because it's a bad workman who blames his tools and I can not believe that it would be sold if it was completly useless

Thanks
George

Can't you find a gas engineer who can fit a variable LPG gas control valve with variable increments.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:15 pm

Hi
thanks for the thought but its not worth it. The thing cost �30 a few years ago and for the same money you can buy a complete unit, especially as its the end of the B&Q year
George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Next

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing