Gas BBQ

Postby Rik vonTrense » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:31 pm

All pressure regulators are adjustable.

All you do is remove the top plate and in the centre is a screw slotted adjuster this varies the spring pressure and you can turn it up or turn it down..........it is not Rocket science.

All plumber's propane bottles for their gas flares have adjustable regulators so to keep a constant heat when turned full on.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:07 pm

Rik vonTrense wrote:All pressure regulators are adjustable.

All you do is remove the top plate and in the centre is a screw slotted adjuster this varies the spring pressure and you can turn it up or turn it down..........it is not Rocket science.

All plumber's propane bottles for their gas flares have adjustable regulators so to keep a constant heat when turned full on.

Of course that is true Rik, but for all the gas catering equipment we installed the drop gas pressure was adjusted to the manufacturers levels on each piece of equipment whether it was new or old. Any mains gas pressure was the responsibility of the gas board.
Standard LPG bottles are adjusted to cope with a variety of attachments, and I don't think it's a good idea to fiddle with the pressure unless you are qualified to do so.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:47 pm

I actually got one of the Lidl gas barbecues, a couple of weeks back, just as the Summer was ending! As assembly was required, I still have a memory of the way it goes together.

The regulator that connects to the gas bottle provides a standardised pressure supply appropriate to the Gas type. Butane wants a different pressure setting to Propane (which yes has a bit of Butane mixed with it, but lets call it Propane for simplicity!)

That supplies the control knob valve, and that feeds... a bit of pipe.

Now, what's surprising is that that pipe is designed to just fit very very loosely inside the pipe that feeds the burner. It is nothing remotely like gas tight. And its about 5" of pipe away from where the flames are... I'm thinking maybe rather like a Bunsen burner with the mixing air inlet at the bottom and the flame at the top...

I think that many (all?) portable gas appliances (with a supply hose) could use either Butane or Propane as long as they have the proper regulator for that gas. I don't think the controls or burners need to be changed.
(I know you need different burners for bottled gas and *mains* gas (methane) but I'm just thinking here about different types of bottled gas.) And a manufacturer that also sells gas is naturally going to say "always use only OUR gas" - but I believe that may be more marketing than safety!
Anyone think they know for sure?
dougal
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:24 pm

It used to be that domestic appliances designed for bottled gas ran on butane regulated at 28mbar and propane regulated at 37mbar. The maximum heat would be slightly higher on butane but propane is the gas of choice with many as it doesn't freeze in the winter like butane does. As an aside, for the disposable cartridges I believe you can also get butane /propane mixes to get maximum heat output while maintaining cold weather use.

Things changed a bit in 2003 when a 30mbar regulator started appearing on UK caravans suitable for attaching to both butane and propane bottles. This was to fit in with a new harmonised standard across Europe of 30mbar :roll: . If you have an appliance designed for a 30mbar input, then running it on propane at 37mbar may make it run too hot. Having said that I have not seen a 30mbar regulator in any camping or caravanning accessory shop yet and I suspect that gas BBQs are still expecting a 37mbar input.

Edit: sorry I digressed, to poperly answer your question, the controls and burners suit all types of bottled gas but make sure the regulator is the right one if using propane. 30mbar appliances will be fine on a 28mbar butane regulator.
Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing