Cold Smokong Temperatures

Cold Smokong Temperatures

Postby Boybach » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:11 pm

Am in middle of smoking my first bacon using a Bradley smoke Generator linked via a cardboard box and 3 feet of vent tubing to an old refridgerator.
All going well with good smoke but cannot get temperature above 55 degree F. Is this temp OK or is there a minimum I must adhere to. Have planned on a six hour smoke and will leave hanging overnight in case I am advised to get the heat up
Thanks for a quick reply please
Boybach
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Assuming you're cold smoking then you wouldn't want the heat up.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Boybach » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:57 pm

Thanks Spuddy. Very impressed with your Season's Greetings. Sorry can't emulate the graphics but my best wishes for Christmas and the New Year are reciprocated
Boybach
Boybach
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:43 am

If you look at opus' thread you will see he is smoking at -15 C :shock: not much chance of spoilage then :D

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Big Guy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:14 pm

I believe that is the ambient air temperature, his smoke house would be higher than that.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:20 pm

Big Guy wrote:his smoke house would be higher than that.

Let's hope so, I can't see much smoke penetration happening otherwise :)
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Boybach » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:46 am

Hi Folk
Have finished my first bacon smoke and it has turned out absolutely beyond my wildest dreams - it is fantastic and the taste just like a dim and distant memory. Today I am ready to cold smoke my leg of pork which has been wet brining for 10 days (2kgs in weight) together with 4 whole sides of Salmon (1.5 kgs per side) which have been dry brining for 3 days. (The colour of the pork already looks like ham should look so I am cautiously optomistic)
May I give you all a VERY BIG THANK YOU for your help and encouragement at the outset of a new hobby. Without this forum and your help it would have remained a pipe dream instead of which it has materialised into reality. You and the Forum will be the talk of our festive table and we will certainly drink a toast or two to you all.
Once again thank you and to you all have a Happy and Peaceful Holiday and a Healthy and Happy New Year
Boybach aka Neil
Boybach
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing