Cleaning Smokers

Cleaning Smokers

Postby Gordon » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:06 pm

I'm very new to all this and I have a question.

Do you clean the inside of a smoker or do you just clean the racks / drip tray and stuff leving the walls tarnished ( seasoned ? ) ?

G
Gordon
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:44 pm

A good point Gordon, I'd be interested to know that too.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:14 am

Just clean the racks and drip tray. The "seasoning" on the inside will only improve it.

One thing to be careful of, and of course it depends on the smoker you have, is the coating that forms on the lid or ceiling of the smoker. It can dry to a brown flaky material that can fall on your food as it smokes. If you see it building up and getting flaky just take some crumpled up aluminium foil and give it a light scrubbing (not while you have food underneath, of course. :shock: ) Just on the inside top, don't worry about the rest.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:25 am

i would agree with that.
it's very annoying to get soot and/or oils dropping on your stuff
jpj
Registered Member

Postby JimH » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:12 pm

Hi all, new here but been BBQing for a while. I clean the grates before & after every cook, using a weed burner when things are really bad. I make a habit of seasoning new grates before using them, like you do with cast iron cookware or a new BBQ pit. When I started seasoning the grates I found I had fewer problems with rust and the food gets stuck less often. I completely clean and re-season my horizontal smoker once a year. My WSM only needs cleaning around the lid prompted by the lid becoming stuck fast. :wink:

Jim
JimH
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:28 pm

Welcome, JimH. Always a good idea to clean our grills here frequently in the Houston area due to rats, roachesm and "slime in the Ice machine". :shock:
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby JimH » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:20 pm

I don't have any rats, just one very large possum who likes my tomatoes & figs. I wonder if it will like limes from my new Persian Lime tree as well? My neighborhood has too many "free-range" cats for mice or rats to survive.
JimH
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:36 pm

Off topic, I know, but my Mexican lime trees do fine. Its the birds that get after the lemons (mainly), oranges, tangerines and grapefruit, but only while they are green and its only cosmetic damage.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby JimH » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:08 pm

Interesting, the birds won't touch my tomatoes until they start to turn red. I hadn't thought about it, but it seems nothing bothers my kumquat tree.
JimH
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:53 am

I clean my grids but not the smoker itself, it's a Brinkmann Vertical and has always seemed better for its internal coating of smoke. Of course first smoke I do after reading this thread my salmon is coated with small flakes of soot from the roof :roll:

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:23 am

Yes Dave, soot can be a problem with not cleaning the inside. Not only that but if you hot smoke and there is residue on the roof it can melt and drip onto the food leaving dark spots on say your salmon.

I have a Bradley and mostly cold smoke and do not clean the sides but I do wipe the top section of the smoker after each use. Not clean the top, just wipe the top.

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:10 pm

Just shot a Jr. Possum this morning with my .22. It was sitting high on the Rec. room's window. I was able to slide open the window and put the gun 6" from it and shoot. It definetly heard me and saw me and it never ran away. Seems like it was scared of something in the patio. Any of you Texas boys know of any predators possums might be scared of?

Thanks,

David

Sorry about taking your thread hostage here.
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing